Enhancing The Performance of Credit Unions : The Evolution of a Methodology
AbstractIn the United States credit unions are not-for-profit cooperative financial institutions, owned by and operated for the benefit of their members. Being part of a cooperative movement enhances the likelihood that credit unions will share performance-enhancing ideas, for the benefit of weak credit unions and the movement as a whole. In this paper we show how a conventional performance evaluation methodology has evolved into a novel performance enhancement methodology. The evolution of the methodology is the result of cooperations among individual credit union managements, movement officials and the authors. The evolution is illustrated with 1990 data on nearly 9,000 credit unions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) with number 1994042.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1994
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- D69 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Other
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bauer, Keldon, 2008. "Detecting abnormal credit union performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 573-586, April.
- Glass, J. Colin & McKillop, Donal G. & Rasaratnam, Syamarlah, 2010. "Irish credit unions: Investigating performance determinants and the opportunity cost of regulatory compliance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 67-76, January.
- McKillop, D. G. & Glass, J. C. & Ferguson, C., 2002. "Investigating the cost performance of UK credit unions using radial and non-radial efficiency measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1563-1591, August.
- Bauer, Keldon J. & Miles, Linda L. & Nishikawa, Takeshi, 2009. "The effect of mergers on credit union performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2267-2274, December.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Yaisawarng, Suthathip, 1999. "The impact of mergers on credit union service provision," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 367-386, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sebastien SCHILLINGS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.