Export Restraints and Horizontal Product Differentiation
AbstractWe consider the effects of export restraints on price competition in the Hotelling model of horizontal differentiation. We characterize the Nash equilibrium for all possible values of the quota and compare our results with those of Krishna (89). We show that a foreign producer would choose a VER in the vicinity of the Free Trade Equilibrium. In order to maximize domestic welfare, a government would necessarily choose complete protectionism nor Free Trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) with number 1997024.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1997
Date of revision: 00 Sep 1997
Hotelling; optimal quota; price competition;
Other versions of this item:
- BOCCARD, Nicolas & WAUTHY, Xavier, 1997. "Export restraints and horizontal product differentiation," CORE Discussion Papers 1997082, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-02-10 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xavier Wauthy, 2002.
"A note on Research and Development and Voluntary Export Restrictions","
AccessEcon, vol. 6(1), pages 1-6.
- WAUTHY, Xavier, . "A note on research and development and voluntary export restrictions," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1537, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2002:i:1:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hernán Vallejo G, 2005.
"International Trade, Migration And Investment With Horizontal Product Differentiation And Free Entry And Exit Of Firms,"
002917, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Hernan Vallejo, 2006. "International trade, migration and investment with horizontal product differentiation and free entry and exit of firms," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.