Bertrand and Cournot in the unidirectional Hotelling model
AbstractThe unidirectional Hotelling model where consumers can buy only from firms located on their right (left) is extended to allow for elastic demand functions. A Bertrand-type model and a Cournot-type model are considered. If firms choose location and then set prices, agglomeration never arises; instead, if firms choose location and then set quantities, agglomeration arises at one endpoint of the segment when transportation costs are low enough. Equilibrium distance between firms is lower in Cournot than Bertrand under the whole parameters’ set. We also study the impact of firms’ location on perfect collusion sustainability. We show that when consumers can buy only from firms located on their right (left), the incentive to deviate of each firm decreases the more the firm is located to the right (left) and the more the rival is located to the left (right).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE) in its series DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza with number ief0095.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Unidirectional Hotelling model; Location equilibrium; Collusion; Bertrand; Cournot.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-06-26 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2010-06-26 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GEO-2010-06-26 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IND-2010-06-26 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2010-06-26 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2010-06-26 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giuseppe Mastromatteo, 2011. "The Debate on the Crisis: Recent Reappraisals of the Concept of Functional Finance," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0105, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Giuseppe Mastromatteo, 2011. "H.P. Minsky And Policies To Countervail Crises," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0102, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Massimo Bordignon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.