The urban labour market during structural adjustment: Ethiopia 1990-1997
AbstractThe paper examines the effects of reform and structural adjustment on the urban labour market in Ethiopia using a combination of cross-section and panel data based on surveys conducted both pre- and post- reform. During this period Ethiopia has seen impressive growth in GDP but little in the way of private investment. Meanwhile, the labour market has remained remarkably unresponsive to the pressures of reform despite the growing queues of the educated unemployed. While the public sector has contracted over the period, real wages have been re-adjusted to almost pre-reform levels; furthermore, real wages have grown in the private sector, while returns to education have remained largely unaffected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford in its series CSAE Working Paper Series with number 1998-09.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Pramila Krishnan & Tesfaye Gebre Selassie & Stefan Dercon, 1998. "The Urban Labour Market During Structural Adjustment: Ethiopia 1990-1997," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces9817, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Pramila Krishnan & Stefan Dercon, 1998. "The urban labour market during structural adjustment: Ethiopia 1990-1997," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1998-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pramila Krishnan, 1994.
"Family background, education and employment in urban Ethiopia,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1994-08, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Krishnan, Pramila, 1996. "Family Background, Education and Employment in Urban Ethiopia," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(1), pages 167-83, February.
- Ohtani, Kazuhiro & Kobayashi, Masahito, 1986. "A Bounds Test for Equality Between Sets of Coefficients in Two Linear Regression Models Under Heteroscedasticity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 220-231, August.
- Collier, Paul & Gunning, Jan Willem, 1995. "War, peace and private portfolios," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 233-241, February.
- Bennell, Paul, 1996. "Rates of return to education: Does the conventional pattern prevail in sub-Saharan Africa?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 183-199, January.
- Akresh, Richard & Lucchetti, Leonardo & Thirumurthy, Harsha, 2011.
"Wars and Child Health: Evidence from the Eritrean-Ethiopian Conflict,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5558, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Akresh, Richard & Lucchetti, Leonardo & Thirumurthy, Harsha, 2012. "Wars and child health: Evidence from the Eritrean–Ethiopian conflict," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 330-340.
- Richard Akresh & Leonardo Lucchetti & Harsha Thirumurthy, 2010. "Wars and Child Health: Evidence from the Eritrean-Ethiopian Conflict," HiCN Working Papers 89, Households in Conflict Network.
- McCormick, Barry & Wahba, Jackline, 2000. "Did public wage premiums fuel agglomeration in LDCs?," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0020, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- White, Howard & Leavy, Jennifer, 2000. "Economic Reform and Economic Performance: Evidence from 20 Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 6594, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pieter Serneels, 2004.
"The Nature of Unemployment in Urban Ethiopia,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Pieter Serneels, 2004. "The Nature of Unemployment in Urban Ethiopia," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Pieter Serneels, 2004. "The Nature of Unemployment in Urban Ethiopia," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-01, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Massimiliano Calì, 2012. "Trade Liberalisation Does Not Always Raise Wage Premia: Evidence from Ugandan Districts," SERC Discussion Papers 0114, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Payne).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.