Econométrie de la production sur données de panel et dispersion des prix de production : Quels biais d’estimation ?
AbstractThe lack of individual information on output prices is a major problem of the econometrics of production, which in particular could account for a significant part of the large discrepancies found in panel data studies between the cross-sectional and time series estimates of capital and scale elasticities. In this work, we have been able to obtain such information on firm output prices, as well as information on firm rates of capacity utilization, for a panel of about 450French manufacturing firms over four years. Whether we rely on the usual panel data estimation methods or use generalized methods of moments (GMM), our expectations are not confirmed, and the various estimations remain practically unaffected by taking into account or not the dispersion of changes in output prices and in capacity utilization. It is likely that the biases arising from other sources of specification errors are more important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2003-48.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Jacques Mairesse & Rozenn Desplatz, 2003. "Econométrie de la production sur données de panel et dispersion des prix de production quels biais d'estimation ?," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 0(6), pages 749-772.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Griliches, Zvi, 1996.
"The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Endogenous,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 343-61, July-Aug..
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1996. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Engogenous," NBER Working Papers 4026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1994. "The Inconsistency of Common Scales Estimators when Output Prices are Unobserved and Endogenous," Discussion Papers 127, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Klette, T.J., 1992. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators when Output Prices are unobserved and Endogenous," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1586, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.