Learning and Syndication in Venture Capital Investments
AbstractThe objective of this Paper is to understand: i) why venture capital investments are often syndicated; and ii) what are the effects of syndication on the post-investment involvement of venture capitalists. We analyse a model where a venture capitalist's efficiency to screen an uncertain project depends both on experience and on the signal they can obtain from another specialized investor. Disclosing the existence of the investment project to this second investor is harmful since the latter becomes de facto a potential competitor. We show that this potential competition can only be avoided through syndication, which affects the learning process. We further explore the cost of syndication in terms of investment decisions or post-investment involvement of venture capitalists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 3867.
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tykvova, Tereza, 2007.
"Who chooses whom? Syndication, skills and reputation,"
Review of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 5-28.
- Tykvová, Tereza, 2005. "Who Chooses Whom? Syndication, Skills and Reputation," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-74, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Cumming, Douglas, 2007. "Government policy towards entrepreneurial finance: Innovation investment funds," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 193-235, March.
- Andy Cosh & Douglas Cumming & Alan Hughes, 2009.
"Outside Enterpreneurial Capital,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(540), pages 1494-1533, October.
- Andy Cosh & Douglas Cumming & Alan Hughes, 2005. "Outside Entrepreneurial Capital," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp301, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Schertler, Andrea & Tykvová, Tereza, 2006. "Rivals or partners? Evidence from Europe's international private equity deals," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-91, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Alvaro Tresierra Tanaka & José Martí Pellón & Marina Balboa, 2012. "Certification effect and capital structure determinants in venture-backed companies," Working Papers. Serie EC 2012-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Casamatta, Catherine & Haritchabalet, Carole, 2007. "Dealing with Venture Capitalists: Shopping Around or Exclusive Negotiation," IDEI Working Papers 444, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Jul 2011.
- Cumming, Douglas & Schmidt, Daniel & Walz, Uwe, 2004. "Legality and venture governance around the world," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/17, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Elisabete Félix & José Paulo Esperança & Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussen & Cesaltina Pires, 2009. "Uma Análise do Mercado de Capital de Risco Português: Saídas Parciais Versus Saídas Totais," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2009_05, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Douglas Cumming & Sofia Johan, 2007.
"Advice and monitoring in venture finance,"
Financial Markets and Portfolio Management,
Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 3-43, March.
- Bourjade, Sylvain, 2002. "Diversification of Investor's Expertise in IPOs," MPRA Paper 7259, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2007.
- Zsuzsanna Fluck & Kedran Garrison & Stewart C. Myers, 2005. "Venture Capital Contracting and Syndication: An Experiment in Computational Corporate Finance," NBER Working Papers 11624, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Cumming & Grant Fleming & Armin Schwienbacher, 2008. "Financial intermediaries, ownership structure and the provision of venture capital to SMEs: evidence from Japan," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 59-92, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.