What is the Domain of the Welfare State?
AbstractThe paper examines the appropriate domain of the Welfare State by exploring the areas in which free enterprise fails to provide adequate welfare state services. The paper outlines a simple coherent strategy for formulating government welfare state policy by identifying the relevant market failures, government failures, and implementation costs. Two proposals for reform of the Welfare State are outlined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1018.
Date of creation: Nov 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H1 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
- P5 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Epstein, Gil S. & Hillman, Arye L., 2000.
"Social Harmony at the Boundaries of the Welfare State: Immigrants and Social Transfers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
168, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Epstein, Gil S & Hillman, Arye L., 2000. "Social Harmony At The Boundaries Of The Welfare State: Immigrants And Social Transfers," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2414, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.