The Liberalization of European Steel Trade
AbstractThis paper constructs a simple model of the steel sector in Europe distinguishing eight West and two East European regions. It models the production of steel and also the various trade restrictions extant in 1992. It uses this model first to calculate the output and welfare effects of rationalizing the sector to remove the excess capacity experienced in 1992 and second to explore the consequences of the mutual trade liberalization between Eastern and Western Europe envisaged under the Europe Agreements. The latter allow major increases in output in the East (18%) and offer Western steel users significant welfare benefits (ECU 190 million). Eastern consumers and Western producers suffer (smaller) losses, but total output in the EU falls only by about 1.5%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1002.
Date of creation: Aug 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Robert M. Stern, 2000.
"Measurement and Modeling of the Economic Effects of Trade and Investment Barriers in Services,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0001, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Brown, Drusilla K & Stern, Robert M, 2001. "Measurement and Modeling of the Economic Effects of Trade and Investment Barriers in Services," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 262-86, May.
- Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M., 1999. "Measurement and Modeling of the Economic Effects of Trade and Investment Barriers in Services," Working Papers 453, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Peter Walkenhorst, 2004. "Liberalising Trade in Textiles and Clothing: A Survey of Quantitative Studies," International Trade 0401007, EconWPA.
- Cadot, O. & De Melo, J. & Faini, R., 1995.
"Early Trade Patterns under the Europe Agreements: France, Germany and Italy,"
Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva
95.08, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Cadot, Olivier & Faini, Riccardo & de Melo, Jaime, 1995. "Early trade patterns under the Europe Agreements: France, Germany and Italy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 601-610, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.