Measuring Output of Government Administration, Defence and Property and Business Services: Some Estimates for Australia
AbstractThis paper examines the current national accounts measure of real output for three major service industries in Australia. It finds that real output measures for government administration services; defence services; and property and business services are unsatisfactory. Alternative estimates are presented for government administration services and defence services for the period 1986/87-1993/94. The estimates for government administration services compare well with the current national accounts measure, whereas for defence services they indicate that real output has grown less quickly than previously thought. No estimates for property and business services are presented due to lack of data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre in its series Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers with number g-127.
Date of creation: Dec 1997
Date of revision:
government administration services; defence services; property and business services; service industries; real output measures for service industries; input-output industries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H56 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - National Security and War
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- L84 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Personal, Professional, and Business Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Murray, 1992. "Measuring Public-Sector Output: The Swedish Report," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 517-542 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George Verikios, 1997. "Re-Estimating Real Output for Service Industries in Australia," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre g-124, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.