Innovation, R&D Investment and Productivity in Colombia
AbstractAbstract: The main objective of this paper is to establish a formal relationship between innovation and performance using Colombian firm-level data. We find that, as predicted by the literature, the production of goods and services new to the firm and to the domestic market enhances firms’ productivity and sales. In the same way, innovation in management and marketing boosts firms’ productivity and sales. However, contrary to theoretical predictions, the production of goods and services new to the international market has a strong negative impact on TFP, although it largely increases sales when firms invest in R&D. We also study the factors behind the firms’ decision to invest in innovation, the intensity of such investment and the returns to investment in innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDESARROLLO in its series INFORMES DE INVESTIGACIÓN with number 009062.
Date of creation: 29 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pablo D'Este & Simona Iammarino & Maria Savona & Nick von Tunzelmann, 2008. "What hampers innovation? Evidence from the UK CIS4," SPRU Working Paper Series 168, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Rachel Griffith & Elena Huergo & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2006.
"Innovation and Productivity Across Four European Countries,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 483-498, Winter.
- Rachel Griffith & Elena Huergo & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2006. "Innovation and Productivity across Four European Countries," NBER Working Papers 12722, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaan Masso & Priit Vahter, 2008.
"Technological innovation and productivity in late-transition Estonia: econometric evidence from innovation surveys,"
European Journal of Development Research,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 240-261.
- Jaan Masso & Priit Vahter, 2008. "Technological Innovation And Productivity In Late-Transition Estonia: Econometric Evidence From Innovation Surveys," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 61, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Lööf, Hans & Heshmati, Almas & Asplund, Rita & Nåås, Svein-Olav, 2001. "Innovation and Performance in Manufacturing Industries: A Comparison of the Nordic Countries," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0457, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Jose Miguel Benavente, 2006.
"The role of research and innovation in promoting productivity in chile,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 301-315.
- José Miguel Benavente, 2002. "The Role of Research and Innovation in Promoting Productivity in Chile," Working Papers wp200, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Andrés Langebaek R. & Diego Vásquez E., .
"Determinantes de la actividad innovadora en la industria manufacturera colombiana,"
Borradores de Economia
433, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andrés Langebaek R. & Diego Vásquez E., 2007. "Determinantes de la actividad innovadora en la industria manufacturera colombiana," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002313, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Innovation, Technology Transfer, and the World Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(2), pages 253-66, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucía Fenney Pérez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.