Efficient Portfolio Optimization in the Wealth Creation and Maximum Drawdown Space
AbstractFirst developed by Markowitz (1952), the mean-variance framework is the most widespread theoretical approximation to the portfolio problem. Nevertheless, successful application in the investment community has been limited. Assumptions such as normality of returns and a static correlation matrix could partially account for this. To overcome some of the limitations of the mean-variance framework, mainly the choice of the risk metric and the inconvenience of using an estimated correlation matrix typical of tranquil or euphoria periods, this paper proposes an alternative risk measure: the maximum drawdown (MDD), and combines it with a wealth creation measure to define a new portfolio optimization space. Like other market practitioners´ measures, MDD lacks of a complete and solid theoretical foundation. In an effort to contribute to its theoretical foundation, this paper uses common sense and financial intuition to introduce such measure, followed by a review of its technical advantages and coherence for risk management. Finally, an application of a MDD risk metric based portfolio optimization model is presented. The main findings indicate this proposal may effectively help overcome some of the traditional mean-variance shortcomings and provide some useful tools for portfolio optimization in practice. For long-term performance driven portfolios, such as pension funds, this approach may yield interesting results because it focuses on wealth creation over the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 004732.
Date of creation: 22 Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Portfolio Optimization; Asset Allocation; Downside Risk; Maximum Drawdown; mean-variance Criteria; Diversification.;
Other versions of this item:
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos León, . "Efficient Portfolio Optimization in the Wealth Creation and Maximum Drawdown Space," Borradores de Economia 520, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos León & Juan Mario Laserna & Ivonne Martínez, 2008.
"Recomendaciones para la modificación del régimen de pensiones obligatorias de Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
004599, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos León & Juan Mario Laserna & Ivonne Martínez, 2008. "Recomendaciones para la modificación del régimen de pensiones obligatorias de Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos león & Juan Mario laserna & Ivonne Martínez, . "Recomendaciones para la modificación del régimen de pensiones obligatorias de Colombia," Borradores de Economia 507, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Alejandro Revéiz Herault & Sebastian Rojas, .
"The case for active management from the perspective of Complexity Theory,"
Borradores de Economia
495, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Aeljandro Reveiz Herault & Sebastian Rojas, 2008. "The case for active management from the perspective of Complexity Theory," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004566, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Enrico De Giorgi, . "A Note on Portfolio Selection under Various Risk Measures," IEW - Working Papers 122, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos León, 2008.
"Administración de fondos de pensiones y multifondos en Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
004598, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos León, . "Administración de fondos de pensiones y multifondos en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 506, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gregorio Impavido & Esperanza Lasagabaster & Manuel Garcia-Huitron, 2010. "New Policies for Mandatory Defined Contribution Pensions : Industrial Organization Models and Investment Products," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2462, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.