A Comparison of VaR and CVaR Constraints on Portfolio Selection with the Mean-Variance Model
AbstractIn this paper, we analyze the portfolio selection implications arising from imposing a value-at-risk (VaR) constraint on the mean-variance model, and compare them with those arising from the imposition of a conditional value-at-risk (CVaR) constraint. We show that for a given confidence level, a CVaR constraint is tighter than a VaR constraint if the CVaR and VaR bounds coincide. Consequently, a CVaR constraint is more effective than a VaR constraint as a tool to control slightly risk-averse agents, but in the absence of a risk-free security, has a perverse effect in that it is more likely to force highly risk-averse agents to select portfolios with larger standard deviations. However, when the CVaR bound is appropriately larger than the VaR bound or when a risk-free security is present, a CVaR constraint ÜdominatesÝ a VaR constraint as a risk management tool.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 50 (2004)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
value-at-risk (VaR); conditional value-at-risk (CVaR); risk management; portfolio choice;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wiechers, Christof, 2011. "Construction of uncertainty sets for portfolio selection problems," Discussion Papers in Statistics and Econometrics 4/11, University of Cologne, Department for Economic and Social Statistics.
- Diana Barro & Elio Canestrelli, 2012. "Downside risk in multiperiod tracking error models," Working Papers 2012_17, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Marie-Hélène Broihanne & Maxime Merli & Patrick Roger, 2006. "Théorie comportementale du portefeuille. Intérêt et limites," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(2), pages 297-314.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro & Lucie Teplá, 2006.
"Risk Management with Benchmarking,"
INFORMS, vol. 52(4), pages 542-557, April.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2008. "Active portfolio management with benchmarking: Adding a value-at-risk constraint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 779-820, March.
- Zheng, Xiaojin & Sun, Xiaoling & Li, Duan & Cui, Xueting, 2012. "Lagrangian decomposition and mixed-integer quadratic programming reformulations for probabilistically constrained quadratic programs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(1), pages 38-48.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M. & Yan, Shu, 2012. "When more is less: Using multiple constraints to reduce tail risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 2693-2716.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M. & Yan, Shu, 2012. "Bank regulation and stability: An examination of the Basel market risk framework," Discussion Papers 09/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ron Bird & Harry Liem & Susan Thorp, 2012. "The Tortoise and the Hare: Risk Premium Versus Alternative Asset Portfolios," Working Paper Series 16, The Paul Woolley Centre for Capital Market Dysfunctionality, University of Technology, Sydney.
- David E Allen & Akhmad R. Kramadibrata & R. J. Powell & Abhay Kumar Singh, 2011. "Tail Risk for Australian Emerging Market Entities," Working papers 2011-07, Edith Cowan University, School of Business.
- Huifu Xu & Dali Zhang, 2012. "Monte Carlo methods for mean-risk optimization and portfolio selection," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 3-29, February.
- James O'Brien & Jeremy Berkowitz, 2005. "Estimating Bank Trading Risk: A Factor Model Approach," NBER Working Papers 11608, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mandal, Maitreyi & Lagerkvist, Carl Johan, 2012. "A Comparison of Traditional and Copula based VaR with Agricultural portfolio," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124387, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wong, Wing-Keung & Phoon, Kok Fai & Lean, Hooi Hooi, 2008. "Stochastic dominance analysis of Asian hedge funds," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 204-223, June.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2006. "Does the Basle Capital Accord reduce bank fragility? An assessment of the value-at-risk approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1631-1660, October.
- Cheridito, Patrick & Stadje, Mitja, 2009. "Time-inconsistency of VaR and time-consistent alternatives," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 40-46, March.
- Fulbert, Tchana Tchana & Georges, Tsafack, 2013. "The Implications of VaR and Short-Selling Restrictions on the Portfolio Manager Performance," MPRA Paper 43797, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2009. "Stress testing by financial intermediaries: Implications for portfolio selection and asset pricing," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Taras Bodnar & Nestor Parolya & Wolfgang Schmid, 2012. "A Closed-Form Solution of the Multi-Period Portfolio Choice Problem for a Quadratic Utility Function," Papers 1207.1003, arXiv.org.
- Gordon J. Alexander & Alexandre M. Baptista & Shu Yan, 2009. "Reducing estimation risk in optimal portfolio selection when short sales are allowed," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(5), pages 281-305.
- Alexandre Street, 2010. "On the Conditional Value-at-Risk probability-dependent utility function," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 49-68, February.
- Larsen, Ryan A. & Vedenov, Dmitry V. & Leatham, David J., 2009. "Enterprise-level risk assessment of geographically diversified commercial farms: a copula approach," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46763, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Baptista, Alexandre M., 2012. "Portfolio selection with mental accounts and background risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 968-980.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.