Factor shares at the sector level, Colombia 1990-2005
AbstractIn general, empirical studies on economics rely on the assumption of constant capitalshare of income both at the aggregate level and at the sector level. However, there is noempirical evidence supporting the constancy of capital share at the sector level. In thispaper, using Colombian data, we measure capital share for 48 sectors during the period1990-2005. We also explore the relation between capital's share and factor prices andthe behavior of capital share during the business cycle. The main results are thefollowing: (i) capital share is not constant but, rather, has an increasing trend; (ii) capitalshares growth rates positively correlate with sector value-added growth; (iii) the capitalshares behave pro-cyclically; and (iv) there is a positive correlation between capitalshares and real wages and a negative correlation between capital shares and interestrates. These results suggest that the usual assumption of constant factor shares is notaccurate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its series DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO with number 006120.
Date of creation: 16 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Factor Shares; income distribution; cycles; economic growth; Colombia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
- E25 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Aggregate Factor Income Distribution
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-05 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.