Microeconomic Inventory Behavior and Aggregate Inventory Dynamics
AbstractThe slow adjustment of inventory stocks to changes in sales has been a puzzle for the inventory literature since at least Auerbach and Feldstein (1976). Recent evidence suggests that estimated firm-level adjustment speeds of inventory stocks are significantly higher than estimates based on aggregate data. This paper investigates the circumstances under which such bias occurs using an industry equilibrium model where, consistently with empirical evidence, some firms smooth production while others bunch it. The model can account for the significant downward bias documented empirically when a subset of firms displays countercyclical mark-up movements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business in its series GSIA Working Papers with number 2003-E28.
Date of creation: Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
Web page: http://www.tepper.cmu.edu/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia Thomas, 2003.
"Inventories and the Business Cycle: An Equilibrium Analysis of (S,s) Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
10078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aubhik Khan & Julie K. Thomas, 2003. "Inventories and the business cycle: an equilibrium analysis of (S,s) policies," Staff Report 329, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia K. Thomas, 2002. "Inventories and the business cycle: an equilibrium analysis of (S,s) policies," Working Papers 02-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia K. Thomas, 2004. "Inventories and the business cycle: an equilibrium analysis of (S,s) policies," Working Papers 04-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia K. Thomas, 2004.
"Modeling inventories over the business cycle,"
04-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia K. Thomas, 2004. "Modeling Inventories Over the Business Cycle," NBER Working Papers 10652, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia K. Thomas, 2004. "Modeling inventories over the business cycle," Staff Report 343, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Julia K. Thomas & Aubhik Khan, 2005. "Modeling Inventories Over the Business Cycle," 2005 Meeting Papers 182, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Steve Spear).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.