Incentives, Contracts And Markets: A General Equilibrium Theory Of Firms
AbstractThis paper takes steps toward integrating firm theory in the spirit of Alchian and Demsetz (1972) and Grossman and Hart (1986), contract theory in the spirit of Holmstrom (1979), and general equilibrium theory in the spirit of Arrow and Debreu (1954) and McKenzie (1959). In the model presented here, the set of firms that form and the contractual arrangements that appear, the assignments of agents to firms, the prices faced by firms for inputs and outputs, and the incentives to agents are all determined endogenously at equilibrium. Agents choose consumption-but they also choose which firms to join, which roles to occupy in those firms, and which actions to take in those roles. Agents interact anonymously with the (large) market, but strategically within the (small) firms they join. The model accommodates moral hazard, adverse selection, signaling, and insurance. Equilibria may be Pareto ranked. Copyright The Econometric Society 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UCLA Department of Economics in its series UCLA Economics Working Papers with number 843.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.ucla.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- William R. Zame, 2007. "Incentives, Contracts, and Markets: A General Equilibrium Theory of Firms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1453-1500, 09.
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2006-02-19 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MIC-2006-02-19 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joon Song, 2007.
"Futures Market: Contractual Arrangement to Restrain Moral Hazard in Teams,"
Economics Discussion Papers
633, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Joon Song, 2012. "Futures market: contractual arrangement to restrain moral hazard in teams," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 163-189, September.
- Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii, 2009.
"The probability approach to general equilibrium with production,"
Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 1-41, April.
- Martine Quinzii & Michael Magill, 2007. "The Probability Approach To General Equilibrium With Production," Working Papers 83, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Hideo Konishi, 2010.
"Efficient Mixed Clubs: Nonlinear-Pricing Equilibria With Entrepreneurial Managers,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 35-63.
- Hideo Konishi, 2009. "Efficient Mixed Clubs: Nonlinear-Pricing Equilibria with Entrepreneurial Managers," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 710, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 08 Sep 2009.
- Hans Gersbach & Hans Haller & Hideo Konishi, 2013.
"Household Formation and Markets,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
821, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hans Haller & Hans Gersbach & Hideo Konishi, 2013. "Household Formation and Markets," Working Papers e07-36, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Hans Gersbach & Hans Haller & Hideo Konishi, 2013. "Household Formation and Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 4414, CESifo Group Munich.
- Roessler, Christian & Koellinger, Philipp, 2012. "Entrepreneurship and organization design," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 888-902.
- Hideo Konishi, 2011. "Entrepreneurial Land Developers: Joint Production, Local Externalities, and Mixed Housing," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 777, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Apr 2013.
- Alberto Bisin & Piero Gottardi & Guido Ruta, 2010.
"Equilibrium Corporate Finance,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2010/01, European University Institute.
- Luque, Jaime, 2013. "Heterogeneous Tiebout communities with private production and anonymous crowding," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 117-123.
- Guido Maretto, 2011. "Contracts and Market: Risk Sharing with Hidden Types," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2011-005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Murizah Osman Salleh & Aziz Jaafar & M. Shahid Ebrahim, 2011. "The Inhibition of Usury (Riba An-Nasi'ah) and the Economic Underdevelopment of the Muslim World," Working Papers 11002, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Konishi, Hideo, 2013. "Entrepreneurial land developers: Joint production, local externalities, and mixed housing developments," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 68-79.
- ap Gwilym, Rhys & Ebrahim, M. Shahid, 2013. "Can position limits restrain ‘rogue’ trading?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 824-836.
- Christian Roessler & Philipp Koellinger, 2009. "Firm Formation with Complementarities: The Role of the Entrepreneur," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-003/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 26 Jul 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tim Kwok).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.