Assessing the Impact of Tax and Transfer Policies on Labour Supply: A Survey
AbstractChanges in parameters of tax and transfer programs can induce individuals to alter their behaviour in a wide variety of ways, including changes in labour supply, in the nature of employee compensation, in the choice of working in the underground economy, in savings decisions, in human capital investments and in fertility decisions. The magnitude of these responses is of critical importance in the formulation of adequate tax and transfer policies. Thus the behavioural effects of income taxes and those implicit in means-tested transfer programs may strongly influence the impact of these policies on income, tax receipts, budgetary costs and welfare. In this paper, we abide with the tradition of evaluating the impact of tax and transfer programs on labour supply at both the extensive (the decision to work or not) and the intensive margins (the number of hours worked). We provide both a theoretical and empirical survey of the labour supply impact of tax and transfer programs. An important part of the empirical results discussed in this paper focuses on the labour supply impact of tax and transfer reforms that occurred in the US, in the UK and in Canada.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRANO in its series CIRANO Project Reports with number 2002rp-10.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2020 rue University, 25e étage, Montréal, Quéc, H3A 2A5
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2002-05-03 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-PUB-2002-05-14 (Public Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & David Masclet & Claude Montmarquette, 2006.
"A Micro-foundation for the Laffer Curve In a Real Effort Experiment,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & David Masclet & Claude Montmarquette, 2005. "A micro-foundation for the Laffer curve in a real effort experiment," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla05071, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Sophie Buffeteau & Damien Echevin, 2003. "Taxation, Marriage and Labor Supply: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in France," Cahiers de recherche 0340, CIRPEE.
- Sophie Buffeteau & Damien Echevin, 2008. "Taxation and marriage: Evidence from a natural experiment in France," Cahiers de recherche 08-01, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Andrea Leiter & Engelbert Theurl, 2004. "Soziale Krankenversicherung und Einkommensteuer: Empirische Tarifanalyse einer komplexen Beziehung," Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft - WuG, Kammer für Arbeiter und Angestellte für Wien, Abteilung Wirtschaftswissenschaft und Statistik, vol. 30(3), pages 363-392.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.