Chilean Banking Crisis of the 1980s: Solutions and estimation of the costs
AbstractThis paper reviews the solutions to the Chilean banking crisis of the 1980s and analyzes their effects on banks, deriving policy lessons from this analysis. This paper also estimates the cost of the rescue of each institution. The three main solutions to the crisis were the following: (i) foreclosure of insolvent institutions or transfer of their assets and liabilities to the solvent institutions; (ii) acquisition of high-risk portfolio (bad loans) under condition of repurchase without provision of fresh funds; and (iii) acquisition of high-risk portfolio under condition of repurchase through future profits with provision of fresh funds. The results showed that the third alternative as the most efficient for the recovery of a significant number of financial institutions with solvency problems. Supporting bank re-capitalization and creating incentives for recovering bad loans helped to accelerate the recovery of the banking industry. The total cost was significant. The cost of foreclosure of insolvent institutions was 10.6 % of the GDP and the cost of portfolio purchase under conditions of repurchase reached 6.7 % of the GDP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 104.
Date of creation: Aug 2001
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-MFD-2002-02-15 (Microfinance)
- NEP-PKE-2002-02-15 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beckerman, Paul, 1997. "Central-bank decapitalization in developing economies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 167-178, February.
- Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Klingebiel, Daniela, 1996. "Bank insolvencies : cross-country experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1620, The World Bank.
- Luc Laeven & Fabian Valencia, 2008.
"The Use of Blanket Guarantees in Banking Crises,"
IMF Working Papers
08/250, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008.
"Banking Crises: An Equal Opportunity Menace,"
NBER Working Papers
14587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises: A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.