To volunteer or not to volunteer? A cross-country study of volunteering
AbstractThis paper uses data from the 4th wave of the European Values Survey (EVS) to investigate the factors that in?uence the decision to participate in volunteering activities, considering both volunteering in general as well as volunteering in particular types of activities. Like previous studies we include several socioeconomic and demographic variables. However our study also includes attitudinal variables and country dummy variables that capture the impact of country speci?c factors. Our results show that there are signi?cant differences across countries in the propensity for volunteering and that the determinants of volunteeringare quite di¤erent for the various types of volunteering.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2011_16.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Volunteer labor; European Values Survey; Nonpro?t organizations.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- L31 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Nonprofit Institutions; NGOs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2012-02-20 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-HRM-2012-02-20 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schady, Norbert R., 2001. "Who participates : the supply of volunteer labor and the distribution of government programs in rural Peru," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 2671, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.