GME versus OLS - Which is the best to estimate utility functions?
AbstractThis paper estimates von Neumann andMorgenstern utility functions comparing the generalized maximum entropy (GME) with OLS, using data obtained by utility elicitation methods. Thus, it provides a comparison of the performance of the two estimators in a real data small sample setup. The results confirm the ones obtained for small samples through Monte Carlo simulations. The difference between the two estimators is small and it decreases as the width of the parameter support vector increases. Moreover the GME estimator is more precise than the OLS one. Overall the results suggest that GME is an interesting alternative to OLS in the estimation of utility functions when data is generated by utility elicitation methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2010_02.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Generalized maximum entropy; Maximum entropy principle; von Neumann and Morgenstern utility; Utility elicitation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C49 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Other
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-04-04 (Econometrics)
- NEP-UPT-2010-04-04 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rui Fragoso & Maria Leonor Carvalho, 2011.
"Estimation of Cost Allocation Coefficients at the Farm Level Using an Entropy Approach,"
CEFAGE-UE Working Papers
2011_21, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Rui Fragoso & Maria Leonor da Silva Carvalho, 2013. "Estimation of cost allocation coefficients at the farm level using an entropy approach," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(9), pages 1893-1906, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.