The Structure and History of Italian Unemployment
AbstractThis paper reviews the Italian unemployment experience, analyzing in particular the time-series behavior of unemployment rates along the path that brought Italy into Europe’s Economic and Monetary Union, and their disaggregated structure across geographical and demographic dimensions. High aggregate unemployment is a reflection of highly concentrated unemployment, especially along geographical dimensions but also among relatively young workers. Its evolution resulted historically from well-understood interactions of macroeconomic events and institutional configurations. We also review recent developments and reform tensions
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 907.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2004-05-02 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-LTV-2004-05-02 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tito Boeri & Pietro Garibaldi, .
"Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labor Market,"
177, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Boeri, Tito & Garibaldi, Pietro, 2002. "Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00256207 is not listed on IDEAS
- G. Boero & A. Mcknight & R. Naylor & J. Smith, 2001. "Graduates and graduate labour markets in the UK and Italy," Working Paper CRENoS 200111, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Lupi, Claudio & Ordine, Patrizia, 2001. "Widening differences in Italian regional unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 103-129, January.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence, 2002.
"Labour Market Institutions and Demographic Employment Patterns,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3448, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Francine Blau & Lawrence Kahn, 2007. "Labor market institutions and demographic employment patterns," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 833-867, October.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2002. "Labor Market Institutions and Demographic Employment Patterns," NBER Working Papers 9043, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yann Algan & Pierre Cahuc & André Zylberberg, 2002.
"Public Employment and Labor Market Performances,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/8846, Sciences Po.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Wolfgang Ochel, 2003.
"Social Union, Convergence and Migration,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
961, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fanti, Luciano & Manfredi, Piero, 2009. "Neoclassical production theory and growth with unemployment: The stability issue revisited," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 126-135, June.
- Matteo PICCHIO & Chiara MUSSIDA, 2010.
"Gender Wage Gap : A Semi-parametric Approach with Sample Selection Correction,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2010005, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Picchio, Matteo & Mussida, Chiara, 2011. "Gender wage gap: A semi-parametric approach with sample selection correction," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 564-578, October.
- Picchio, M. & Mussida, C., 2010. "Gender Wage Gap: A Semi-Parametric Approach With Sample Selection Correction," Discussion Paper 2010-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Picchio, Matteo & Mussida, Chiara, 2010. "Gender Wage Gap: A Semi-Parametric Approach with Sample Selection Correction," IZA Discussion Papers 4783, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lena Vogel, 2008. "The Relationship between the Hybrid New Keynesian Phillips Curve and the NAIRU over Time," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 200803, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Imbriani, Cesare & Morone, Piergiuseppe & Testa, Giuseppina, 2008. "Exporting quality: is it the right strategy for the Italian manufacturing sector?," MPRA Paper 13327, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wolfgang Ochel, 2008. "The Political Economy of Two-tier Reforms of Employment Protection in Europe," CESifo Working Paper Series 2461, CESifo Group Munich.
- Maurizio Bovi, 2005.
"The Cyclical Behaviour of Shadow and Regular Employment,"
Labor and Demography
- Maurizio Bovi, 2006. "The Cyclical Behavior of Shadow and Regular Employment," ISAE Working Papers 62, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Maurizio Bovi, 2007. "National accounts, fiscal rules and fiscal policy. Mind the hidden gaps," ISAE Working Papers 76, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Giorgio Brunello & Claudio Lupi & Patrizia Ordine, 2005. "Labor Taxes in Local Labor Markets: Evidence from Italian Regions," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 64(1), pages 29-54, September.
- Lars Calmfors & Giancarlo Corsetti & Seppo Honkapohja & John Kay & Willi Leibfritz & Gilles Saint-Paul & Hans-Werner Sinn & Xavier Vives, 2004. "Pay-setting Systems in Europe: On-going Development and Possible Reforms," EEAG Report on the European Economy, CESifo Group Munich, vol. 0, pages 61-83, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.