Good Institutions are not enough: Ongoing Challenges of East German Development
AbstractA major theme in accounts of the transitional recession and delayed convergence in post-communist economies is the role of institutions. Yet via unification, East Germany had immediate access to credible, high quality institutions. This paper argues that success in a capitalist economy depends not only on high quality institutions but also on finding one’s niche in the international division of labour. East Germany’s experience highlights the long shadow cast by the period under communism over the economy’s ability to find its comparative advantage in tradeables on a scale adequate for self-sustaining growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 3204.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
transition; institutions; East Germany; tradeables; convergence;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O43 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Institutions and Growth
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francesco Pigliaru & Luciano Mauro, 2011.
"Social Capital, Institutions and Growth: Further Lessons from the Italian Regional Divide,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa11p1866, European Regional Science Association.
- L. Mauro & F. Pigliaru, 2011. "Social Capital, Institutions and Growth: Further Lessons from the Italian Regional Divide," Working Paper CRENoS 201103, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Wendy Carlin, 2011. "Good Institutions are not Enough: Ongoing Challenges of Eastern German Development," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 9(1), pages 28-34, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.