Wages, Unions, Insiders and Product Market Power
AbstractThis paper analyses time series data on some 800 British manufacturing companies to address various questions concerning the role of insiders and market power in wage determination. The following are the important results. First, firm specific factors such as productivity gains do influence wage increases. Second, there is no robust evidence of insider power at wok in wage setting. Third, conditions in the external labour market are a very important influence on company wages, although less so for firms with a high degree of market power. Finally, product market power itself has a positive impact on wages, which is enhanced in large firms but is not influenced by union status.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0077.
Date of creation: May 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wolfgang Ochel, 2001. "Geht der Einfluss der Gewerkschaften auf die Lohnbildung international zurück?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 54(05), pages 44-46, October.
- Stephen Nickell & D. Nicolitsas, 1994.
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
51644, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Nickell & D. Nicolitsas, 1994. "Wages, effort and productivity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20794, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Destefanis, Sergio & Mastromatteo, Giuseppe, 2010. "Wage Inequality and Labour-market Performance. A Role for Corporate Social Responsibility - Disuguaglianza salariale e performance del mercato del lavoro," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 63(1), pages 91-120.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.