EMU: An Outsider's Perspective
AbstractThis talk was presented at the Finlay-O'Brien Lecture, delivered at University College, Dublin, October 7, 1996. One of the themes is that the economics profession knows little about EMU's benefits and costs. But while EMU is a gamble, it is probably a gamble worth taking, if you believe, as I do, that the EMU project is integrally linked to the effective completion of the Single Market, and that the benefits of the Single Market are large. EMU also has costs, and it is the difficulty of quantifying them that creates the uncertainty. Most discussions focus on the costs of forsaking monetary autonomy â€“ that countries which give up a separate national currency give up recourse to an independent monetary response to economic shocks. While there is some merit to this argument, I will suggest that these costs are not the ones about which Irish policymakers and their constituents should be particularly worried.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley in its series Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series with number qt2m60n639.
Date of creation: 08 Dec 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: F502 Haas, Berkeley CA 94720-1922
Phone: (510) 642-1922
Fax: (510) 642-5018
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/iber_cider/
More information through EDIRC
EMU; Ireland; single market; national currency; international economics;
Other versions of this item:
- Barry Eichengreen., 1996. "EMU: An Outsider's Perspective," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C96-079, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, B., 1996. "EMU: An Outsider's Perspective," Papers 96/26, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McCoy, Daniel, 1997. "How useful is Structural VAR Analysis for Irish economics?," Research Technical Papers 2/RT/97, Central Bank of Ireland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.