Employability of Young Italian Males after a Jobless Period, 1989-1998
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the existence of negative jobless duration dependence and the impact of jobless spells on future wages. Our findings are relatively out of line compared to analogous explorations. We find evidence of very long unemployment duration of the young male labor force, much higher than reported anywhere else in Western Europe. Despite our findings on unemployment duration, negative unemployment duration dependence is modest. While the probability of re-employment decreases also in Italy as elapsed joblessness becomes longer, such decay is small. Finally, we show that young Italian males experiencing jobless periods in their early careers face small re-employment wage losses. Such losses do increase with the duration of joblessness, but here, once again, they are lower than reported in Unites States, Canada, UK, France and Spain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies in its series LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series with number 103.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
joblessness; duration dependence; long term unemployment; two stage least squares; selection problems.;
Other versions of this item:
- Bruno Contini & Ambra Poggi, 2006. "Employability of Young Italian Males after a Jobless Period, 1989-1998," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 48, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bruno Contini & Elisa Grand, 2012. "Long Term Youth Unemployment or Disposable Workforce?," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 260, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Bruno Contini & Elisa Grand, 2010. "Long term youth unemployment or disposable workforce?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 101, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Bert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.