The Restructuring and Privatisation of the Peruvian Electricity Distribution Market
AbstractThis paper attempts to assess the social welfare impact of the restructuring and privatisation of the electricity market in Peru. The target companies, Electrolima and Electro Sur Medio, account for 64 per cent of the total distribution market and 100 per cent of the privatised distribution companies respectively. Actual and counterfactual operating costs are examined. A separate analysis is performed for each company, due to the differences in terms of economies of scale and market structure. The benefits of being connected were also computed based on counterfactual scenarios. Companies that were not privatised (benchmark companies) were used for making appropriate comparisons and for determining our preferred counterfactual cost decline. Benchmark companies were also important for analysing the trend in quality issues. The results show that privatisation was worthwhile and that the social welfare of being connected has an important contribution on it. Government and producers benefited the most and consumers the least due to price increase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 1017.
Date of creation: 15 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
Cost benefit analysis; restructuring and privatisation; electricity market; Peru;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2013. "Essays on Electricity Market Reforms: A Cross-Country Applied Approach," MPRA Paper 47139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2010.
"Electricity Market Reform: Lessons for developing countries,"
27317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2011. "The impact of power market reforms on electricity price-cost margins and cross-subsidy levels: a cross country panel data analysis," MPRA Paper 28414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daisy Shen & Qing Yang, . "Electricity Market Regulatory Reform and Competition – Case Study of the New Zealand Electricity Market," Chapters, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.