On the Reliability of I/B/E/S Earnings Announcement Dates and Forecasts
AbstractWe add to the concerns raised in Ljungqvist, Malloy and Marston, 2009, Rewriting History, Journal of Finance, 64, 1935-1960, about the reliability of the I/B/E/S data provided by Thomson Reuters (TR). Many of the dates reported as earnings announcement dates are not earnings announcement dates; there are inconsistencies between these dates and those reported in Worldscope, another TR database; and summaries of financial analysts’ forecasts can be misleading. Following discussions with the authors, TR has reviewed approximately 2 million records and is in the process of correcting some 50,000 of them. Further reviews are under way.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK in its series Bristol Economics Discussion Papers with number 09/611.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
I/B/E/S; Worldscope; earnings announcements; analysts’ forecasts;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-21 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon Bryant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.