Real effective exchange rates for 178 countries: a new database
AbstractClick here for the most recently updated database The real effective exchange rate (REER), which measures the development of the real value of a countryâ??s currency against the basket of the trading partners of the country, is a frequently used variable in both theoretical and applied economic research and policy analysis. It is used for a wide variety of purposes, such as assessing the equilibrium value of a currency, the change in price or cost competitiveness, the drivers of trade flows, or incentives for reallocation production between the tradable and the non-tradable sectors. Due to the importance of the REER in economic research and policy analysis, several institutions, such as the World Bank, the Eurostat, the BIS, the OECD, just to name a few, publish various REER indicators which are freely downloadable. Altogether, these institutions publish data for 113 countries. The countries for which data are available include all advanced and several emerging and developing countries. However, different databases may have different methodologies and even the 109 countries included in the World Bank database miss several dozen countries of the world. Our database has three novelties: Using a consistent methodology, we calculate CPI-based REER for 178 countries (plus the euro area) for annual data and for 153 countries (plus the euro area) for monthly data. We calculate the REER for all countries up to date, eg in the current vintage of the database we calculate up to January 2012. It is relatively easy to calculate REER against any arbitrary group of countries â?? what is needed for this is a re-scaling of the weighting matrix. The database will be irregularly updated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bruegel in its series Working Papers with number 716.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Zsolt Darvas, 2012. "Real Effective Exchange Rates for 178 Countries: a New Database," Working Papers 1201, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2012. "Real effective exchange rates for 178 countries: A new database," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1210, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benkovskis, Konstantins & Wörz, Julia, 2013.
"Non-price competitiveness of exports from emerging countries,"
Working Paper Series
1612, European Central Bank.
- Benkovskis, Konstantins & Wörz, Julia, 2012. "Non-price competitiveness of exports from emerging countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 19/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Julia Wörz, 2012. "Non-Price Competitiveness of Exports from Emerging Countries," FIW Working Paper series 100, FIW.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Bruno Martorano, 2013.
"Development policies and income inequality in selected developing regions, 1980-2010,"
Working Papers - Economics
wp2013_13.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Bruno Martorano, 2012. "Development Policies and Income Inequality in Selected Developing Regions, 1980–2010," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 210, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Das, Debasish Kumar, 2012. "Determinants of current account imbalances in the global economy: A dynamic panel analysis," MPRA Paper 42419, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & AndrÃ© Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, . "EU-IMF assistance to euro area countries: an early assessment," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 779, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.