An alternative methodological approach to assess the predictive performance of the moving average trading rule in financial markets: application to the london stock exchange
AbstractIn this work a modification of the Box-Tiao methodology for the assessment of the impact of external events on time series is proposed as an alternative statistical approach of assessing the predictive performance of the moving average trading rule in financial markets. With the proposed methodology measures of the predictive performance of the moving average trading rule can be simultaneously estimated, while at the same time controlling for autocorrelation in the series of asset returns. The potential advantages of the proposed methodology over the existing ones are discussed. Application of this alternative methodology to the returns of the FT30 Index of the London Stock Exchange shows good agreement with the empirical findings of other methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 107.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Market Efficiency; Trading Rules; Moving Averages; Impact Assessment; Box-Tiao Models; London Stock Exchange.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G17 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Financial Forecasting and Simulation
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-28 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vasilis Droucopoulos & Panagiotis Chronis, 2010. "“Assessing market dominance”: a comment and an extension," Working Papers 109, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.