“Assessing market dominance”: a comment and an extension
AbstractMelnik et al. [Melnik, A., Shy, Oz, Stenbacka, R., 2008. Assessing market dominance. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 68, 63-72] have proposed a new statistic to assess market dominance. In this comment we expand their discussion of certain mathematical properties in their analysis and link their methodology to some previous approaches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 109.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Firm’s dominance; Dominant position; Measure of dominance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K21 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Antitrust Law
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-09-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-LAW-2010-09-03 (Law & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Babecky, Jan & Caju, Philip Du & Kosma, Theodora & Lawless, Martina & Messina, Julian & Room, Tairi, 2009.
"The margins of labor cost adjustment : survey evidence from European firms,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5160, The World Bank.
- Jan Babecky & Philip Du Caju & Theodora Kosma & Martina Lawless & Julian Messina & Tairi Room, 2009. "The margins of labour cost adjustment : Survey evidence from European firms," Working Paper Research 183, National Bank of Belgium.
- Babecký, Jan & Du Caju, Philip & Kosma, Theodora & Lawless, Martina & Messina, Julián & Rõõm, Tairi, 2009. "The Margins of Labour Cost Adjustment: Survey Evidence from European Firms," Working Paper Series 1106, European Central Bank.
- Lawless, Martina & Babecký, Jan & Du Caju, Philip & Kosma, Theodora & Messina, Julián & Rõõm, Tairi, 2009. "The Margins of Labour Cost Adjustment:Survey Evidence from European Firms," Research Technical Papers 12/RT/09, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Jan Babecky & Philip Du Caju & Theodora Kosma & Martina Lawless & Julian Messina & Tairi Room, 2010. "The Margins of Labour Cost Adjustment: Survey Evidence from European Firms," Working Papers 2010/07, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Jan Babecký & Philip Du Caju & Theodora Kosma & Martina Lawless & Julián Messina & Tairi Rõõm, 2009. "The margins of labour cost adjustment: survey evidence from european firms," Working Papers 108, Bank of Greece.
- George A. Zombanakis & Constantinos Stylianou & Andreas S. Andreou, 2009. "The Greek Current Account Deficit:Is it Sustainable after all?," Working Papers 98, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasios Tagkalakis, 2009. "The effect of asset price volatility on fiscal policy outcomes," Working Papers 106, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasios Tagkalakis, 2009. "Fiscal adjustments and asset price movements," Working Papers 104, Bank of Greece.
- Ioannis Asimakopoulos & Panayiotis Athanasoglou,, 2009.
"Revisiting the Merger and Acquisition Performance of European Banks,"
100, Bank of Greece.
- Asimakopoulos, Ioannis & Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P., 2009. "Revisiting the merger and acquisition performance of European banks," MPRA Paper 31994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2009.
"Optimum Currency Areas Structural Changes and the Endogeneity of the OCA Criteria: Evidence from Six New EU Member States,"
99, Bank of Greece.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2011. "Optimum currency areas, structural changes and the endogeneity of the OCA criteria: evidence from six new EU member states," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 195-206.
- George Hondroyiannis, 2009.
"Fertility Determinants and Economic Uncertainty:An Assessment Using European Panel Data,"
96, Bank of Greece.
- George Hondroyiannis, 2010. "Fertility Determinants and Economic Uncertainty: An Assessment Using European Panel Data," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 33-50, March.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Manthos D., 2011.
"Bank-level estimates of market power,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 212(3), pages 508-517, August.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Evangelia A. Georgiou & Christos C. Staikouras, 2008.
"Assessing Output and Productivity Growth in the Banking Industry,"
92, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Georgiou, Evangelia A. & Staikouras, Christos C., 2009. "Assessing output and productivity growth in the banking industry," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 1317-1340, November.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Georgiou, Evangelia & Staikouras, Christos, 2008. "Assessing output and productivity growth in the banking industry," MPRA Paper 31996, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tavlas, George & Dellas, Harris & Stockman, Alan C., 2008.
"The classification and performance of alternative exchange-rate systems,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 941-963, August.
- George Tavlas & Harris Dellas & Alan Stockman, 2008. "The Classification and Perfomance of Alternative Exchange-Rate Systems," Working Papers 90, Bank of Greece.
- Alexandros E. Milionis & Evangelia Papanagiotou, 2009. "An alternative methodological approach to assess the predictive performance of the moving average trading rule in financial markets: application to the london stock exchange," Working Papers 107, Bank of Greece.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Manthos D. Delis, 2009.
"Bank Heterogeneity and Monetary Policy Transmission,"
101, Bank of Greece.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Manthos D., 2010. "Bank heterogeneity and monetary policy transmission," Working Paper Series 1233, European Central Bank.
- Dimitris Papageorgiou, 2009. "Macroeconomic Implications of Alternative Tax Regimes: The Case of Greece," Working Papers 97, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.