The network topology of CHAPS Sterling
AbstractIn this paper, we seek to understand the network topology of large-value interbank payment flows in the United Kingdom so as to understand better the risks associated with the system. We first examined the broad network topology of interbank payments in the United Kingdom. We found that, despite the fact that there are far fewer banks in the United Kingdom than in the United States, the structure of UK interbank payments is similar in certain respects to that of the United States, but that the tiered structure of the UK system implies rather different risk characteristics. We then looked at CHAPS and found that payment flows in CHAPS form a well-connected network whose properties change little day to day. This means that liquidity is able to flow efficiently around the network and that the network is quite resilient to shocks. This finding was backed up by examining the effects of a particular incident on the properties of the CHAPS network. In that particular instance, the effective removal of one bank for much of the day had little impact on the ability of other banks to make payments between one another.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of England in its series Bank of England working papers with number 355.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 24 Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Network topology; CHAPS Sterling; interbank payment flows.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher Becher & Marco Galbiati & Merxe Tudela, 2008. "The timing and funding of CHAPS sterling payments," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 113-133.
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter Beyeler, 2006.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Crucitti, Paolo & Latora, Vito & Marchiori, Massimo & Rapisarda, Andrea, 2004. "Error and attack tolerance of complex networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 340(1), pages 388-394.
- Clara Lia Machado & Carlos León & Miguel Sarmiento & Orlando Chipatecua, 2010.
"Riesgo Sistémico y Estabilidad del Sistema de Pagos de Alto Valor en Colombia: Análisis bajo Topología de Redes y Simulación de Pagos,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007669, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Clara Machado & Carlos León & Miguel Sarmiento & Freddy Cepeda, 2011. "Riesgo Sistémico Y Estabilidad Del Sistema De Pagos De Alto Valor En Colombia: Análisis Bajo Topología De Redes Y Simulación De Pagos," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Clara Lía Machado & Carlos León & Miguel Sarmiento & Freddy Cepeda & Orlando Chipatecua & Jorge cely, . "Riesgo Sistémico y Estabilidad del Sistema de Pagos de Alto Valor en Colombia: Análisis bajo Topología de Redes y Simulación de Pagos," Borradores de Economia 627, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ladley, Daniel, 2013.
"Contagion and risk-sharing on the inter-bank market,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1384-1400.
- Dan Ladley, 2010. "Contagion and risk-sharing on the inter-bank market," Discussion Papers in Economics 11/10, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Jan 2013.
- Adams, Mark & Galbiati, Marco & Giansante, Simone, 2010. "Liquidity costs and tiering in large-value payment systems," Bank of England working papers 399, Bank of England.
- Galbiati, Marco & Soramäki, Kimmo, 2012. "Clearing networks," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 609-626.
- Perlin, Marcelo & Schanz, Jochen, 2011. "System-wide liquidity risk in the United Kingdom’s large-value payment system: an empirical analysis," Bank of England working papers 427, Bank of England.
- Krause, Andreas & Giansante, Simone, 2012. "Interbank lending and the spread of bank failures: A network model of systemic risk," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 583-608.
- Carlos Castro & Juan Sebastian Ordoñez, 2012. "A Network model of systemic risk: identifying the sources of dependence across institutions," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 009651, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Serafín Martínez-Jaramillo & Biliana Alexandrova-Kabadjova & Bernardo Bravo-Benítez & Juan Pablo Solórzano-Margain, 2012. "An Empirical Study of the Mexican Banking System's Network and its Implications for Systemic Risk," Working Papers 2012-07, Banco de México.
- Lee, Seung Hwan, 2013. "Systemic liquidity shortages and interbank network structures," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-12.
- Yoshiharu Maeno & Kenji Nishiguchi & Satoshi Morinaga & Hirokazu Matsushima, 2012. "Optimal portfolio for a robust financial system," Papers 1211.5235, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2013.
- Toivanen, Mervi, 2013. "Contagion in the interbank network: An epidemiological approach," Research Discussion Papers 19/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Wetherilt, Anne & Zimmerman, Peter & Soramaki, Kimmo, 2010. "The sterling unsecured loan market during 2006-08: insights from network theory," Bank of England working papers 398, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.