Price adjustments and inflation - evidence from Norwegian consumer price data 1975-2004
AbstractI document price adjustments in both high and low inflation years from 14 milllion monthly price observations of 1,133 goods and services. The variation in the frequency of price changes explains all the variation in the inflation rate. On average, prices increase more often when inflation is high, and decrease more often when inflation is low. There is also substantial variation both in the duration and size of price changes within and between items.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Norges Bank in its series Working Paper with number 2009/11.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 24 Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Consumer prices; price rigidity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-07-03 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2009-07-03 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2009-07-03 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gagnon, Etienne & López-Salido, J David & Vincent, Nicolas, 2012.
"Individual Price Adjustment along the Extensive Margin,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Etienne Gagnon & David López-Salido & Nicolas Vincent, 2012. "Individual Price Adjustment along the Extensive Margin," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2012, Volume 27, pages 235-281 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Etienne Gagnon & David L�pez-Salido & Nicolas Vincent, 2013. "Individual Price Adjustment along the Extensive Margin," NBER Macroeconomics Annual, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(1), pages 235 - 281.
- Etienne Gagnon & David López-Salido & Nicolas Vincent, 2012. "Individual Price Adjustment along the Extensive Margin," NBER Working Papers 18213, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Etienne Gagnon & David López-Salido & Nicholas Vincent, 2012. "Individual price adjustment along the extensive margin," International Finance Discussion Papers 1052, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berardi, N. & Gautier, E. & Le Bihan, H., 2013. "More Facts about Prices: France Before and During the Great Recession," Working papers 425, Banque de France.
- Fernando Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2013.
"Price setting with menu cost for multi-product firms,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
1302, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Feb 2013.
- Alvarez, Fernando E & Lippi, Francesco, 2012. "Price setting with menu cost for multi-product firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 8863, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fernando E. Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2012. "Price Setting with menu cost for Multi-product firms," NBER Working Papers 17923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Cavallo & Roberto Rigobon, 2011.
"The Distribution of the Size of Price Changes,"
NBER Working Papers
16760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klenow, Peter J. & Malin, Benjamin A., 2010.
"Microeconomic Evidence on Price-Setting,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 6, pages 231-284
- Ross D. Hickey & David S. Jacks, 2010.
"Nominal Rigidities and Retail Price Dispersion in Canada over the Twentieth Century,"
NBER Working Papers
16098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ross D. Hickey & David S. Jacks, 2011. "Nominal rigidities and retail price dispersion in Canada over the twentieth century," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(3), pages 749-780, August.
- Dirk Van den Poel & Benjamin Verhelst, 2011.
"Price Rigidity in Europe and the US: A Comparative Analysis Using Scanner Data,"
2011 Meeting Papers
524, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- B. Verhelst & D. Van Den Poel, 2010. "Price rigidity in Europe and the US: A comparative analysis using scanner data," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 10/684, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Carstensen, Kai & Schenkelberg, Heike, 2011. "Time- or State-Dependence? An Analysis of Inflation Dynamics using German Business Survey Data," Discussion Papers in Economics 12170, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Martin S. Eichenbaum & Nir Jaimovich & Sergio Rebelo & Josephine Smith, 2012.
"How Frequent Are Small Price Changes?,"
NBER Working Papers
17956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2013.
"Price Rigidity: Microeconomic Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications,"
NBER Working Papers
18705, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emi Nakamura & J�n Steinsson, 2013. "Price Rigidity: Microeconomic Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 5(1), pages 133-163, 05.
- Sudo, Nao & Ueda, Kozo & Watanabe, Kota, 2013.
"Micro price dynamics during Japan's lost decades,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
159, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.