Estimating Prices for R&D Investment in the 2007 R&D Satellite Account
AbstractThis paper is part of a series that provides the details behind the Bureau of Economic Analysis's (BEA) satellite account on research and development (R&D) activity. In the current work, the focus is on the theoretical underpinnings and empirical implementation of the R&D price index used to construct real R&D output. We examine four alternative price indexes. For each, we lay out the theoretical assumptions needed for the approach to be valid and examine how well the approach works in practice. We then compare these four alternative price indexes and explain the choice of our preferred price index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bureau of Economic Analysis in its series BEA Papers with number 0083.
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carol Corrado & Jonathan Haskel & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio & Massimiliano Iommi, 2012.
"Intangible Capital and Growth in Advanced Economies: Measurement Methods and Comparative Results,"
Economics Program Working Papers
12-03, The Conference Board, Economics Program.
- Haskel, J & Corrado, C & Jona-Lasinio, C & Iommi, M, 2012. "Intangible capital and growth in advanced economies: measurement methods and comparative results," Working Papers 9913, Imperial College, London, Imperial College Business School.
- Corrado, Carol & Haskel, Jonathan & Jona-Lasinio, Cecilia & Iommi, Massimiliano, 2012. "Intangible Capital and Growth in Advanced Economies: Measurement Methods and Comparative Results," IZA Discussion Papers 6733, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carol Robbins & Olympia Belay & Matthew Donahoe & Jennifer Lee, 2012. "Industry-level Output Price Indexes for R&D: An Input-cost Approach with R&D Productivity Adjustment," BEA Working Papers 0090, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Dennis Fixler, 2009. "Accounting for R&D in the National Accounts," BEA Papers 0094, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Huang, Ning, 2011.
"Capitalizing R&D Expenditures,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 537-564, September.
- Carol Corrado & Charles R. Hulten, 2012.
Economics Program Working Papers
12-04, The Conference Board, Economics Program.
- Haskel, J & Corrado, C & Jona-Lasinio, C & Iommi, M, 2013. "Innovation and intangible investment in Europe, Japan and the US," Working Papers 11139, Imperial College, London, Imperial College Business School.
- Sumiye Okubo, 2007. "Framework for an Industry-based R&D Satellite Account," BEA Papers 0087, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Bernstein).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.