Continuities and Discontinuites in the Fiscal and Monetary Institucions of New Granada 1783-1850
AbstractIn this paper we study the estructure of the fiscal system of the Viceroyalty of New Granada towards the end of the colonial period. Then we discuss how the tax system inhereted from the Spanish Empire evolved over the period 1821-1850. The conclusion that emerges from the review of the evidence is that the new republic was succesful in improving the tax regime it had received from Spain. By 1850, the Republic of New Granada possesed a fiscal system that was much more fair, efficient and neutral, than was the case in 1810.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 074.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Jaime Jaramillo U. & Adolfo Meisel R. & Miguel Urrutia, 1997. "Continuities and Discontinuities in the Fiscal and Monetary Institutions of New Granada 1783-1850," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002197, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2003-04-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2003-04-02 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MAC-2003-04-02 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hirschman,Albert O., 1981. "Essays in Trespassing," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521282437, April.
- Redish, Angela, 1984. "Why Was Specie Scarce in Colonial Economies? An Analysis of the Canadian Currency, 1796–1830," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(03), pages 713-728, September.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:
- > Economic History > Regional Economic History > Latin American Economic History > Economic History of Colombia
- Salomón Kalmanovitz, 1999.
"Las Instituciones Colombianas En El Siglo Xx,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003117, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos Esteban Posada, 1998.
"Los mercados de instituciones y las instituciones endogenas,"
Lecturas de Economía,
Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 48, pages 149-168, Enero Jun.
- Carlos Esteban Posada, . "Los Mercados de Instituciones y las Instituciones Endógenas," Borradores de Economia 081, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos Esteban Posada P., 1997. "Los Mercados de Instituciones y las Instituciones Endógenas," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003174, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2005.
"Colonial independence and economic backwardness in Latin America,"
Economic History Working Papers
22482, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2004. "Colonial Independence And Economic Backwardness In Latin America," Working Papers in Economic History wh046503, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Salomón Kalmanovitz, 2006. "El PIB de la Nueva Granada en 1800: auge colonial, estancamiento republicano," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 8(15), pages 161-183, July-Dece.
- Maria Alejandra Irigoin, 2006. "Gresham on horseback: the monetary roots of Spanish American political fragmentation in the nineteenth century," Economic History Working Papers 22321, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2004. "When Did Latin America Fall Behind?.Evidence From Long-Run International Inequality," Working Papers in Economic History wh046604, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Salomón Kalmanovitz, 2008. "Consecuencias económicas de la independencia en Colombia," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 10(19), pages 207-233, July-Dece.
- Regina Grafe & Maria Alejandra Irigoin, 2006.
"The Spanish Empire and its legacy: fiscal re-distribution and political conflict in colonial and post-colonial Spanish America,"
Economic History Working Papers
22467, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Grafe, Regina & Irigoin, Maria Alejandra, 2006. "The Spanish Empire and its legacy: fiscal redistribution and political conflict in colonial and post-colonial Spanish America," Journal of Global History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 241-267, July.
- Daron Acemoglu & Camilo García-Jimeno & James A. Robinson, 2014. "State Capacity and Economic Development: A Network Approach," NBER Working Papers 19813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.