Il modello di specializzazione internazionale dell'Italia e dei principali paesi europei: omogeneitÃ e convergenza
AbstractThis paper compares main European countries and the euro area specialization patterns. The analysis, that covers the period 1988-1997 and is based on a detailed sectoral breakdown, provides evidence to assess the degree of structural differences and convergence among European countries, which have become important issues since the birth of the European monetary union. We find that the former ones are quite large. While France and Germany are very similar to the area as a whole, Italy and Spain results to be different, with comparative advantages over goods whose production requires technologies operated by unskilled workers. This is particularly true for Italy that therefore might be more exposed to asymmetric effects of exogenous shocks and even of European policies. From the evolution of specialization patterns between the beginning and the end of the nineties, we find weak signs of convergence within the euro area; again Italy differs and shows a slower and more uncertain path of change, even when compared to Spain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 402.
Date of creation: Mar 2001
Date of revision:
specialization patterns; comparative advantage; convergence; monetary union;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ricotta, Fernanda & Mannarino, Lidia & Pupo, Valeria & Succurro, Marianna, 2008. "Export quality in the machinery sector: Some evidence from main competitors," MPRA Paper 12677, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Patrizio Pagano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2001.
"Firm Size Distribution and Growth,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
394, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Marconi, Daniela & Rolli, Valeria, 2008.
"Comparative Advantage Patterns and Domestic Determinants in Emerging Countries: An Analysis with a Focus on Technology,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/81, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Daniela Marconi & Valeria Rolli, 2007. "Comparative advantage patterns and domestic determinants in emerging countries: an analysis with a focus on technology," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 638, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Patrizio Pagano & Francesco PaternÃ² & Alberto Franco Pozzolo & Fabiano Schivardi & Salvatore Rossi, 2001.
"Ingredients for the New Economy: How Much does finance matter?,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
418, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bugamelli, M. & Pagano, P. & Paterno, F. & Pozzolo, A.F. & Rossi, S. & Schivardi, F., 2003. "Ingredients for The New Economy: How Much Does Finance Matter?," EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers 31, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Paola Caselli & Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "International specialization models in Latin America: the case of Argentina," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 558, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Alessia Amighini & Stefano Chiarlone, 2003. "Rischi e opportunità dell’integrazione commerciale cinese per la competitività internazionale dell'Italia," KITeS Working Papers 149, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2003.
- Fabrizio Onida, 2003. "Growth, competitiveness and firm size: factors shaping the role of Italy’s productive system in the world arena," KITeS Working Papers 144, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2003.
- Mannarino, Lidia & Pupo, Valeria & Ricotta, Fernanda & Succurro, Marianna, 2009. "International Specialisation and Quality Focus on the Machinery Sector," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 62(4), pages 439-468.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.