On monetary policy rules for the euro area
AbstractIn this paper a New Keynesian model is described and partially estimated for the euro area. The model is then used to analyze the stabilizing properties of alternative monetary policy rules for the euro area: instrument (Taylor-type) rules and targeting rules. Our main finding is that if instrument rules are designed optimally they behave similarly to targeting rules both in terms of performance and robustness. This result is obtained for a variety of ECB preferences on stabilizing inflation, the output gap, and the nominal interest rate. Furthermore, the rule quasi-equivalence is also obtained if the ECB objective function is based on welfare maximization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Espa�a in its series Banco de Espa�a Working Papers with number 0415.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Instrument rules; targeting rules; euro area;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- E4 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thanassis Kazanas & Elias Tzavalis, 2011. "Unveiling the monetary policy rule in euro area," Working Papers 130, Bank of Greece.
- Feldkord, Eva-Ulrike, 2005. "On the relevance of monetary aggregates in monetary policy models," HWWA Discussion Papers 317, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Moons, Cindy & Garretsen, Harry & van Aarle, Bas & Fornero, Jorge, 2007.
"Monetary policy in the New-Keynesian model: An application to the Euro Area,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 879-902.
- MOONS, Cindy & GARRETSEN, Harry & VAN AARLE, Bas & FORNERO, Jorge, 2007. "Monetary policy in the new-Keynesian model: An application to the Euro-Area," Working Papers 2007014, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Adela Luque, 2005. "Skill mix and technology in Spain: evidence from firm level data," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0513, Banco de Espa�a.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.