What Drives Exchange Rates? New Evidence from a Panel of U.S. Dollar Bilateral Exchange Rates
AbstractWe use a novel approach to identify economic developments that drive exchange rates in the long run. Using a panel of six quarterly U.S. bilateral real exchange rates – Australia, Canada, the euro, Japan, New Zealand and the United Kingdom – over the 1980-2007 period, a dynamic factor model points to two common factors. The first factor is driven by U.S. shocks, and cointegration analysis points to a long-run statistical relationship with the U.S. debt-to-GDP ratio, relative to all other countries in our sample. The second common factor is driven by commodity prices. Incorporating these relationships directly into a state-space model, we find highly significant coefficients. Then, we decompose the historical variation of each exchange rate into U.S. shocks, commodities, and a domestic component. We find a strong role for economic fundamentals: Changes in the two common factors, which are driven by the (relative) U.S. debt-to-GDP ratio and commodity prices, can explain between 36 and 96 per cent of individual countries' exchange rates in our panel.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 10-5.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Exchange rates; Econometric and statistical methods;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-02-13 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CBA-2010-02-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2010-02-13 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2010-02-13 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2010-02-13 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Felício, Wilson Rafael de Oliveira & Rossi, José Luiz Júnior, 2013.
"Common factors and the exchange rate: results from the Brazilian case,"
Insper Working Papers
wpe_318, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Jose Luiz Rossi Junior & Wilson Rafael de Oliveira Felicio, 2014. "Common Factors and the Exchange Rate: Results From the Brazilian Case," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 68(1), pages 49-71, April.
- Jose Luiz Rossi Jr & Wilson Felíci, 2014. "Common Factors And The Exchange Rate: Results From The Brazilian Case," Anais do XLI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 41th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 125, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Rossi, José Luiz Júnior, 2014. "The Usefulness of Financial Variables in Predicting Exchange Rate Movements," Insper Working Papers wpe_332, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Rossi, José Luiz Júnior, 2013. "Liquidity and Exchange Rates," Insper Working Papers wpe_325, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Domenico Ferraro & Kenneth S. Rogoff & Barbara Rossi, 2012.
"Can Oil Prices Forecast Exchange Rates?,"
NBER Working Papers
17998, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferraro, Domenico & Rogoff, Kenneth & Rossi, Barbara, 2011. "Can Oil Prices Forecast Exchange Rates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8635, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Domenico Ferraro & Ken Rogoff & Barbara Rossi, 2011. "Can Oil Prices Forecast Exchange Rates?," Working Papers 11-05, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Domenico Ferraro & Ken Rogoff & Barbara Rossi, 2011. "Can oil prices forecast exchange rates?," Working Papers 11-34, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Nagayasu, Jun, 2013.
"Co-movements in Real Effective Exchange Rates: Evidence from the Dynamic Hierarchical Factor Model,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2013-66, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Jun Nagayasu, 2013. "Co-movements in real effective exchange rates: evidence from the dynamic hierarchical factor model," Working Papers 1318, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Kia, Amir, 2013. "Determinants of the real exchange rate in a small open economy: Evidence from Canada," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 163-178.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.