Applications of time-delayed backward stochastic differential equations to pricing, hedging and portfolio management
AbstractIn this paper we investigate novel applications of a new class of equations which we call time-delayed backward stochastic differential equations. Time-delayed BSDEs may arise in finance when we want to find an investment strategy and an investment portfolio which should replicate a liability or meet a target depending on the applied strategy or the past values of the portfolio. In this setting, a managed investment portfolio serves simultaneously as the underlying security on which the liability/target is contingent and as a replicating portfolio for that liability/target. This is usually the case for capital-protected investments and performance-linked pay-offs. We give examples of pricing, hedging and portfolio management problems (asset-liability management problems) which could be investigated in the framework of time-delayed BSDEs. Our motivation comes from life insurance and we focus on participating contracts and variable annuities. We derive the corresponding time-delayed BSDEs and solve them explicitly or at least provide hints how to solve them numerically. We give a financial interpretation of the theoretical fact that a time-delayed BSDE may not have a solution or may have multiple solutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1005.4417.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision: Jan 2011
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2010-06-04 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-IAS-2010-06-04 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kleinow, Torsten & Willder, Mark, 2007. "The effect of management discretion on hedging and fair valuation of participating policies with maturity guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 445-458, May.
- Min Dai & Yue Kuen Kwok & Jianping Zong, 2008. "Guaranteed Minimum Withdrawal Benefit In Variable Annuities," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 595-611.
- N. El Karoui & S. Peng & M. C. Quenez, 1997. "Backward Stochastic Differential Equations in Finance," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 1-71.
- Bender, Christian & Denk, Robert, 2007. "A forward scheme for backward SDEs," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(12), pages 1793-1812, December.
- Ballotta, Laura, 2005. "A Lévy process-based framework for the fair valuation of participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 173-196, October.
- Nadine Gatzert & Alexander Kling, 2007. "Analysis of Participating Life Insurance Contracts: A Unification Approach," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(3), pages 547-570.
- Ying Hu & Peter Imkeller & Matthias Muller, 2005. "Utility maximization in incomplete markets," Papers math/0508448, arXiv.org.
- Romuald Elie & Nizar Touzi, 2008. "Optimal lifetime consumption and investment under a drawdown constraint," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 299-330, July.
- Marie-Amélie Morlais, 2009. "Quadratic BSDEs driven by a continuous martingale and applications to the utility maximization problem," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 121-150, January.
- Milevsky, Moshe A. & Salisbury, Thomas S., 2006. "Financial valuation of guaranteed minimum withdrawal benefits," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 21-38, February.
- Kleinow, Torsten, 2009. "Valuation and hedging of participating life-insurance policies under management discretion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 78-87, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.