The Role of Subsidies in Promoting Italian Joint Ventures in Least Developed and Transition Economies
AbstractThis paper analyses the impact of subsidies for the promotion of Italian joint ventures (JVs) aimed at LDC and transition economies. The empirical analysis is carried out on a unique dataset of 172 JVs interviewed during 1998 by means of a closed-answer qualitative-quantitative questionnaire. The main finding of the study is that, although there is a significant deadweight component in incentive policy, the subsidised firms are significantly more likely to grow. Moreover, the JVs comprising new firms (which need to grow to survive) also have a higher employment performance than average, as do the (labour intensive) JVs motivated by the search for lower labour costs, and the JVs in east European countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali in its series Working Papers with number 144.
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2002. "The role of subsidies in promoting Italian joint ventures in least developed and transition economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(12), pages 1563-1569.
- G. Barba Navaretti & E. Santarelli & M. Vivarelli, 2000. "The Role of Subsidies in Promoting Italian Joint Ventures in Least Developed and Transition Economics," Working Papers 386, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B. & Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 1999. "Start-up size and industrial dynamics: some evidence from Italian manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 965-983, October.
- Hansson, Ingemar & Stuart, Charles, 1989. "Why Is Investment Subsidized?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 549-59, August.
- Iavor Marangozov, 2013. "Realization of the Anticompetitive Potential of Joint Ventures in Bulgaria (1991-2010)," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 37-67.
- Roberto Antonietti & Davide Antonioli, 2007.
"Production Offshoring and the Skill Composition of Italian Manufacturing Firms: A Counterfactual Analysis,"
2007.97, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Roberto Antonietti & Davide Antonioli, 2009. "Production offshoring and the skill composition of Italian manufacturing firms: a counterfactual analysis," Openloc Working Papers 0903, Public policies and local development.
- Iavor Marangozov, 2005. "Characteristics of the International Joint Ventures in Bulgaria (1989-2003)," Industrial Organization 0509003, EconWPA.
- Enrico Santarelli, 2004. "Patents and the Technological Performance of District Firms Evidence for the Emilia-Romagna Region of Italy," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-29, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Stefania BUSSOLETTI & Roberto ESPOSTI, 2004. "Regional Convergence, Structural Funds and the Role of Agricolture in the EU. A Panel-Data Approach," Working Papers 220, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Ugo FRATESI, 2003.
"Innovation Diffusion and the Evolution of Regional Disparities,"
186, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Ugo Fratesi, 2003. "Innovation Diffusion and the Evolution of Regional Disparities," ERSA conference papers ersa03p327, European Regional Science Association.
- Marcello MESSORI & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2004. "Monetary profits within the circuit: Ponzi finance oer "mors tua, vita mea"?," Working Papers 200, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Elvio MATTIOLI, 2003. "The measurement of coherence in the evaluation of criteria and its effects or ranking problems illustrated using a multicriteria decision method," Working Papers 199, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Nicola MATTEUCCI & Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 2003. "ICT and Employment Growth in Italian Industries," Working Papers 193, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Iavor Marangozov, 2005. "From Practice to Theory of the International Joint Ventures," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 2, pages 44-77.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.