Modeling Member Responses to the Farmer Owned Cooperative's Alternative Capital Management Strategies
AbstractResearch directed toward determining the optimal capital structure for agricultural cooperatives could provide solutions to debt-related financial stress problems (Moller, Featherstone, and Barton, 1996). Assessing the cooperatives' member needs, proper capitalization, and economies of scale are among the critical areas that need attention (Torgerson, 1992). This research dynamically models the capitalization of agricultural cooperatives with the ultimate goal of providing information that helps reduce the cooperatives financial stress and adequately addresses the member-owner's needs. Specifically, this research explores alternative equity management strategies for farmer-owned cooperatives. Unlike other equity management studies, this research focuses on the transition from current equity management practices to equity management practices that improve the cooperative's control over capitalization of assets, maintain competitiveness, and maximize the return to the individual farmer-owners in a risky economic and financial environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NCERA-194 Research on Cooperatives in its series 2000 Annual Meeting, December 12-13 with number 31813.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Agricultural Finance; Agribusiness;
Other versions of this item:
- Diaz-Hermelo, Francisco & Gray, Allan W. & Smith, Edward G., 2001. "Modeling Member Responses To The Farmer Owned Cooperative'S Alternative Capital Management Strategies," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20546, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poray, Michael C. & Ginder, Roger G., 1999. "Comparing Alternative Closed Swine Production Cooperatives: Adding Value to Corn Under Uncertainty," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 14.
- Poray, Michael C. & Ginder, Roger, 1999. "Comparing Alternative Closed Swine Production Cooperatives: Adding Value to Corn Under Uncertainty," Staff General Research Papers 1556, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Barton, David G. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Featherstone, Allen M., 1997. "Optimal Capital Structure in Centralized Agricultural Cooperatives," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35809, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Moller, Lynn G. & Featherstone, Allen M. & Barton, David G., 1996. "Sources of Financial Stress in Agricultural Cooperatives," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 11.
- Zhang, Tianwei & Mallory, Mindy L., 2010. "Patronage Refunds Paying Decision of Farm Credit System Associations: A Logit Model," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61756, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.