Effects Of Managers' Power On Capital Structure: A Study Of Italian Agricultural Cooperatives
AbstractExcessive leverage is one of the most important problems facing Italian agricultural cooperatives as the competition in the EU intensifies. An empirical study of 500 agricultural cooperatives supports the hypothesis that cooperatives characterized as having "powerful managers" have a capital structure that is significantly different from the "nonpowerful manager" cooperatives. Powerful manager cooperatives were less leveraged and had a long term strategy that focused on minimizing financial risk by increasing their equity/asset ratio. The result of this strategy is an increased probability of long term international competitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA) in its journal International Food and Agribusiness Management Review.
Volume (Year): 03 (2000)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
Other versions of this item:
- Russo, Carlo & Weatherspoon, Dave D. & Peterson, H. Christopher & Sabbatini, Massimo, 1999. "Effects Of Managers' Power On Capital Structure: A Study On Italian Agricultural Cooperatives," Staff Papers 11753, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Staatz, John M., 1989. "Farmer Cooperative Theory: Recent Developments," Research Reports 52017, United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs.
- Barton, David G. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Featherstone, Allen M., 1997. "Optimal Capital Structure in Centralized Agricultural Cooperatives," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35809, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Rebelo, Joao & Caldas, Jose Vaz & Matulich, Scott C., 2008. "Manager Power, Member Behavior and Capital Structure: Portuguese Douro Wine Cooperatives," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(2), June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.