Impacts of Agri-Environmental Policies on Land Allocation and Land Prices
AbstractWe develop a Ricardian framework with heterogeneous land quality to analyse the effects of agricultural and agri-environmental support policies on land allocation decisions and land prices. Four agri-environmental policy instruments are considered: a uniform area payment, a quality-dependent area payment, a mandatory buffer strip policy and a voluntary buffer strip payment. We also analyse how general tax and monetary policies may affect agricultural land prices. The theoretical framework is illustrated by an empirical model applied to Finnish agriculture. The empirical model shows that macroeconomic factors, such as general tax and monetary policies, may exert a greater impact on land prices than some minor fine-tuning in agrienvironmental policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia with number 25310.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
agri-environmental policy; acreage subsidy; land price; Q11; Q18; Environmental Economics and Policy; Land Economics/Use;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jussi Lankoski & Markku Ollikainen, 2003. "Agri-environmental externalities: a framework for designing targeted policies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 51-75, March.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra & Fran�ois N. Ortalo-Magné, 2003. "What's Wrong with Our Models of Agricultural Land Values?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 744-752.
- Feichtinger, Paul & Salhofer, Klaus, 2013. "The Influence of the Common Agricultural Policy and Heterogeneous Land Quality on Land Rent and Land Allocation," Factor Markets Working Papers 149, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Feichtinger, Paul & Salhofer, Klaus, 2013. "The Influence of the Common Agricultural Policy and Heterogeneous Land Quality on Land Rent and Land Allocation," Working Papers 146963, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.