Market Interactions in Aquaculture
AbstractDuring the last two decades there has been a tremendous growth in the production of intensively farmed fish. This growth has been accompanied by a substantial reduction in prices. As this enhances the competitiveness of farmed fish, concerns are often raised with respect to the market impact of new aquaculture species. Of particular interest is the relationship to wild species in the output market as well as in the input market because of the demand for feed. In this paper we investigate what we know about market interactions based on two simple market models, where the difference between the two models is whether the competing product is wild-caught seafood or a traditionally produced product.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 95th Seminar, December 9-10, 2005, Civitavecchia, Italy with number 56003.
Date of creation: Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Aquaculture; market interaction; fishmeal trap; Livestock Production/Industries; Marketing;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Güttler, Stefan, 2008. "Forschung und Entwicklung in der Aquakultur: Ein Überblick über Arbeitsgebiete und offene Fragen," I&I Working Paper 01/2008, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Agricultural Economics, Section Innovation and Information.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 2001. "Aquaculture Economics and Marketing: An Overview," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 48733, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 2002. "Bioeconomic Analysis of Aquaculture's Impact on Wild Stocks and Biodiversity," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 48739, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Binh, Tu Van & D'Haese, Marijke F.C. & Speelman, Stijn & D'Haese, Luc, 2010. "The Influence of Changes in the Market Environment on Economic Production Characteristics of Pangasius Farming in the Mekong Delta (Vietnam)," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 25(4).
- Asche, Frank & Roll, Kristin H & Trollvik, Trine, 2009. "New aquaculture species. Entering the whitefish market," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2009/21, University of Stavanger.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.