Biofuels, Agriculture And Climate Change
AbstractIn the context of ever-increasing petroleum prices combined with concerns about climate change, timing of adoption and rate of diffusion of land-based fuels and backstop technologies for transportation use are examined in this paper. A global model of land allocation joined with a Hotelling model has been developed. Using this framework, effects of climate and energy policies on world agricultural and energy markets have been explored. Further, their regional impacts are also analyzed. Whereas mandatory blending bio-fuels have substantial effects on world food prices and do not succeed in curbing down carbon emissions fluxes, carbon targets are expected to speed up date of adoption of backstop technologies. Then, sensitivity scenarios with regards to technological parameters reveal that higher is the rate of technological change, earlier backstop technologies are adopted and lower is the stock of carbon accumulated into the atmosphere. Finally, interplay between land-based fuels and deforestation has been studied. Results show that land-based fuels production speeds up world deforestation and causes substantial carbon emissions due to conversion of forests into agricultural lands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium with number 44259.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Ricardian rents; land use; biofuels; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2008-11-25 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2008-11-25 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2008-11-25 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- BAHEL, Eric A. & MARROUCH, Walid & GAUDET, Gérard, 2011.
"The Economics of Oil, Biofuel and Food Commodities,"
Cahiers de recherche
2011-02, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bahel, Eric & Marrouch, Walid & Gaudet, Gérard, 2013. "The economics of oil, biofuel and food commodities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 599-617.
- Eric Bahel & Walid Marrouch & Gerard Gaudet, 2010. "The Economics of Oil, Biofuel and Food Commodities," Working Papers e07-26, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- BAHEL, Eric & MARROUCH, Walid & GAUDET, Gérard, 2011. "The Economics of Oil, Biofuel and Food Commodities," Cahiers de recherche 02-2011, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.