Farm level impact of rural development policy: a conditional difference in difference matching approach
AbstractWe use a conditional difference-in-difference matching estimator and a 2003-2007 balanced panel drawn from the FADN Italian sample to evaluate the impact at the farm level of the implementation of the first Italian Rural Development Programme (RDP). We find that, in average, farms receiving at least a RDP payment increased family labor, while they did not increase total labour employed on farm. In addition, they experienced an increase in labor profitability and added value, even though the estimate significance varies accordingly to the matching method used. Our findings, suggest that the implementation of the first RDP produced a positive direct impact on rural GDP, while it did not prove to be effective in terms of rural employment growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy with number 99421.
Date of creation: 10 Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Common Agricultural Policy; Rural Development Policy; conditional diff-in-diff matching; Agricultural and Food Policy; Q12; Q18; C14;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-03-05 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2011-03-05 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michalek, Jerzy & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2013.
"Firm-Level Evidence of Deadweight Loss of Investment Support Policies: A Case Study of Dairy Farms in Schleswig-Holstein,"
Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain
152258, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Michalek, Jerzy & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2013. "Firm-Level Evidence Of Deadweight Loss Of Investment Support Policies: A Case Study Of Dairy Farms In Schleswig-Holstein," Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain 152257, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.