The recreational value of Lake McKenzie: An application of the travel cost method
AbstractLake McKenzie is one of the most highly used and popular visitor destinations of all Fraser Island's natural sites, attracting 2,000 visitors a day in peak periods. Many consider this level of visitation to be unsustainable and the management authority is considering a range of management options. In assessing the alternatives it is useful to have some idea of the recreational value of the Lake under the current regime. This paper estimates this value using the travel cost method. Once adjustments for multiple-site visitors are made, the method yields recreational values of the Lake ranging from $13.7 M. to $31.8 M per annum, or from $104.30 to $242.84 per-person per-visit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand with number 10382.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Lake McKenzie; travel cost method; recreation; Fraser Island; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- 218 Valuing environmental intangibles, part 1: The options
by David Pannell in Pannell Discussions on 2012-06-26 12:07:12
- Alvarez, Sergio & Larkin, Sherry L., 2008. "Valuing Recreational Benefits of a National Park in Andean Colombia," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6732, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Ghermandi, Andrea & Nunes, Paulo A.L.D., 2013.
"A global map of coastal recreation values: Results from a spatially explicit meta-analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 1-15.
- Andrea Ghermandi & Paulo A.L.D. Nunes, 2011. "A Global Map of Costal Recreation Values: results from a spatially explicit meta-analysis," Working Papers 2011_08, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Doshi, Amar & Pascoe, Sean, 2013. "Investigating the effects of sample heterogeneity on the travel cost model for coral diving in Southeast Asia," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152146, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Ezzy, Edward & Scarborough, Helen, 2011. "Estimation of the Recreational Use Value Gained from Recreational Fishing of Southern Bluefin Tuna at Portland, Australia," 2011 Conference (55th), February 8-11, 2011, Melbourne, Australia 100546, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.