Foreign Prices Shocks in a Small Open Economy
AbstractCountries specialize in producing goods that they have comparative advantages in producing. This results in a country exporting some goods while it imports other. Hence, there is a reason to expect that changes in the prices of these goods have consid- erable economic e¤ect and that demand management can be used to improve welfare following such changes. This paper analyses this using a New Open Economy Macro (NOEM) model of a small open economy. Among others, the results indicate that, in a small open economy, a terms of trade appreciation results in increased consumption, labor use and output on impact while consumption increases but labor use and output decrease in future time periods. The results also indicate that the vulnerability of an economy towards such shocks is negatively related to its size. Finally, the results indicate that there exists a welfare improving demand management policy following a terms of trade shock.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2007-06.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Open Economy Macroeconomics; New Open Economy Macro Models; small open economy; tradeables; exportables; importables; terms of trade; demand management; stabilization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2008-06-21 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-OPM-2008-06-21 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Paoli, Bianca, 2009.
"Monetary policy and welfare in a small open economy,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 11-22, February.
- Bianca De Paoli, 2004. "Monetary policy and welfare in a small open economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19950, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bianca De Paoli, 2004. "Monetary Policy and Welfare in a Small Open Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0639, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
NBER Working Papers
4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Scholarly Articles 12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," CEPR Discussion Papers 1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kollman, R., 1996.
"The Exchange Rate in a Dynamic-Optimizing Current Account Model with Nominal Rigidities: a Quantitative Investigation,"
Cahiers de recherche
9614, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kollmann, R., 1996. "The Exchange rate in a Dynamic-Optimizing Current Account Model with Nominal Rigidities: A Quantitative Investigation," Discussion Paper 1996-67, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kollman, R., 1996. "The Exchange Rate in a Dynamic-Optimizing Current Account Model with Nominal Rigidities: A Quantitative Investigation," Cahiers de recherche 9614, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Torben M. Andersen & Niels C. Beier, 2003. "Propagation of Nominal Shocks in Open Economies," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 71(6), pages 567-592, December.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2003.
"Closing small open economy models,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 163-185, October.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2002. "Closing Small Open Economy Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 3096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002. "Closing Small Open Economy Models," NBER Working Papers 9270, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Closing Small Open Economy Models," Departmental Working Papers 200115, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Robert Miguel W. K. Kollman, 1997. "The Exchange Rate in a Dynamic-Optimizing Current Account Model with Nominal Rigidities," IMF Working Papers 97/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Ester Faia & Tommaso Monacelli, 2006.
"Optimal Monetary Policy in a Small Open Economy with Home Bias,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
521, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ester Faia & Tommaso Monacelli, 2008. "Optimal Monetary Policy in a Small Open Economy with Home Bias," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(4), pages 721-750, 06.
- Faia, Ester & Monacelli, Tommaso, 2006. "Optimal Monetary Policy in a Small Open Economy with Home Bias," CEPR Discussion Papers 5522, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karen K. Lewis, 1999. "Trying to Explain Home Bias in Equities and Consumption," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(2), pages 571-608, June.
- Andersen, Torben M. & Holden, Steinar, 2002. "Stabilization policy in an open economy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 293-312, September.
- Lane, Philip R., 1997. "Inflation in open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 327-347, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.