Program Applicants as a Comparison Group in Evaluating Training Programs: Theory and a Test
AbstractThe authors begin with a thorough assessment of the many nonexperimental employment and training program evaluation techniques based on non-random comparison groups. These techniques typically use econometric methods to estimate the effects of employment and training programs by using comparison groups from non-program "external" sources. Then, recognizing the inherent drawbacks in these methods, Bell, Orr, Blomquist and Cain respond by reintroducing an evaluation method first implemented in the 1960s, the use of "internal" comparison groups consisting of nonparticipating program applicants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research in its series Books from Upjohn Press with number pacg and published in 1995.
ISBN: paper 9780880991575
Note: PDF is the book's first chapter.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 300 S. Westnedge Ave. Kalamazoo, MI 49007 USA
Web page: http://www.upjohn.org
More information through EDIRC
program evaluation; job training; training programs; program applicants;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Monica Andini & Guido de Blasio, 2012. "Local Development that Money Canâ€™t Buy: Italyâ€™s Contratti di Programma," ERSA conference papers ersa12p464, European Regional Science Association.
- Lundin, Martin & Skedinger, Per, 2000.
"Decentralisation of active labour market policy: The case of Swedish local employment service committees,"
Working Paper Series
2000:6, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Lundin, Martin & Skedinger, Per, 2006. "Decentralisation of active labour market policy: The case of Swedish local employment service committees," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(4-5), pages 775-798, May.
- Skedinger, Per & Lundin, Martin, 2000. "Decentralisation of Active Labour Market Policy: The Case of Swedish Local Employment Service Committees," Working Paper Series 537, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Michael Lechner, 2000.
"An Evaluation of Public-Sector-Sponsored Continuous Vocational Training Programs in East Germany,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(2), pages 347-375.
- Lechner, Michael, 1996. "An Evaluation of Public Sector Sponsored Continuous Vocational Training Programs in East Germany," Discussion Papers 539, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Lechner, Michael, 1999. "An Evaluation of Public-Sector-Sponsored Continuous Vocational Training Programs in East Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 93, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Edwin Leuven & Hessel Oosterbeek, 2002. "A New Approach to estimate the Wage Returns to Work-related Training," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-091/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Görlitz, Katja, 2011.
"Continuous training and wages: An empirical analysis using a comparison-group approach,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 691-701, August.
- Katja Görlitz, 2010. "Continuous Training and Wages – An Empirical Analysis Using a Comparison-group Approach," Ruhr Economic Papers 0197, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Matias Busso & Jesse Gregory & Patrick Kline, 2013.
"Assessing the Incidence and Efficiency of a Prominent Place Based Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 103(2), pages 897-947, April.
- Matias Busso & Jesse Gregory & Patrick M. Kline, 2010. "Assessing the Incidence and Efficiency of a Prominent Place Based Policy," NBER Working Papers 16096, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matias Busso & Jesse Gregory & Patrick Kline, 2011. "Assessing the Incidence and Efficiency of a Prominent Place Based Policy," Working Papers 11-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Edwin Leuven & Hessel Oosterbeek, 2008. "An alternative approach to estimate the wage returns to private-sector training," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4), pages 423-434.
- Elena Ragazzi & Lisa Sella, 2013. "The effectiveness of vocational training policies: methods for an impact evaluation," CERIS Working Paper 201314, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Elena Ragazzi & Lisa Sella, 2013. "Una valutazione di impatto delle politiche formative regionali: il caso piemontese," CERIS Working Paper 201315, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Schmid, Günther & Schömann, Klaus & Schütz, Holger, 1997. "Evaluierung und Arbeitsmarktpolitik: Eine analytischer Bezugsrahmen am Beispiel des arbeitsmarktpolitischen Rahmenprogramms in Berlin," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment FS I 97-204, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Begoña Cueto & F. Mato, 2009. "A nonexperimental evaluation of training programmes: regional evidence for Spain," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 415-433, June.
- Eichler, Martin & Lechner, Michael, 1996. "Public Sector Sponsored Continuous Vocational Training in East Germany : Institutional Arrangements, Participants, and Results of Empirical Evaluations," Discussion Papers 549, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Elena Ragazzi & Lisa Sella, 2013. "Migration and work: the cohesive role of vocational training policies," CERIS Working Paper 201316, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Fitzgerald, Joan & Rasheed, Janice Matthews, 1998. "Salvaging an evaluation from the swampy lowland," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 199-209, May.
- Monica Andini & Guido de Blasio, 2013. "Local development that money can’t buy: Italy’s Contratti di Programma," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 915, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Arild Aakvik & James J. Heckman & Edward J. Vytlacil, 2000. "Treatment Effects for Discrete Outcomes when Responses to Treatment Vary Among Observationally Identical Persons: An Application to Norwegian ..," NBER Technical Working Papers 0262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cansino Muñoz-Repiso, José Manuel & Sánchez Braza, Antonio, 2011. "Effectiveness of Public Training Programs Reducing the Time Needed to Find a Job/Eficacia de los programas públicos de formación en la reducción del tiempo necesario para encontrar un empleo," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 391 (26 pÃ¡, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.