Stochastic Optimal Control, International Finance, and Debt Crises
AbstractThis book focuses on the interaction between equilibrium real exchange rates, optimal external debt, endogenous optimal growth and current account balances, in a world of uncertainty. The theoretical parts result from interdisciplinary research between economics and applied mathematics. From the economic theory and the mathematics of stochastic optimal control the author derives benchmarks for the optimal debt and equilibrium real exchange rate in an environment where both the return on capital and the real rate of interest are stochastic variables. The theoretically derived equilibrium real exchange rate - the "natural real exchange rate" NATREX - is where the real exchange rate is heading. These benchmarks are applied to answer the following questions. * What is a theoretically based empirical measure of a "misaligned" exchange rate that increases the probability of a significant depreciation or a currency crisis? * What is a theoretically based empirical measure of an "excess" debt that increases the probability of or a debt crisis? * What is the interaction between an excess debt and a misaligned exchange rate? The theory is applied to evaluate the Euro exchange rate, the exchange rates of the transition economies, the sustainability of U.S. current account deficits, and derives warning signals of the Asian crises and debt crises in emerging markets. Available in OSO: http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/oso/public/content/economicsfinance/0199280576/toc.html
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Oxford University Press in its series OUP Catalogue with number 9780199280575 and published in 2006.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.oup.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jerome L. Stein, 2011.
"The Diversity of Debt Crises in Europe,"
Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 12(4), pages 44-51, December.
- Stein, Jerome L., 2009.
"A tale of two debt crises: a stochastic optimal control analysis,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2009-44, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Stein, Jerome L., 2010. "A tale of two debt crises: a stochastic optimal control analysis," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4(3), pages 1-24.
- Jerome L. Stein, 2008. "A Tale of Two Debt Crises: A Stochastic Optimal Control Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2220, CESifo Group Munich.
- Viktors Ajevskis & Ramune Rimgailaite & Uldis Rutkaste & Olegs Tkacevs, 2012. "The Assesment of Equilibrium Real Echange Rate of Latvia," Working Papers 2012/04, Latvijas Banka.
- Stein, Jerome L., 2007.
"United States current account deficits: A stochastic optimal control analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1321-1350, May.
- Jerome L. Stein, 2006. "United States Current Account Deficits: A Stochastic Optimal Control Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 1805, CESifo Group Munich.
- Karlhans Sauernheimer, 2011. "Greece: Bail-out Packages, Current Account and Foreign Debt," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 12(4), pages 37-43, December.
- Jerome L. Stein, 2010. "A Critique of the Literature on the US Financial Debt Crisis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2924, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cheng, Mei-luan & Gloy, Brent A., 2008. "The Paradox of Risk Balancing: Do Risk-reducing Policies Lead to More Risk for Farmers?," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6546, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jerome L. Stein, 2009. "Application of Stochastic Optimal Control to Financial Market Debt Crises," CESifo Working Paper Series 2539, CESifo Group Munich.
- Federici, Daniela & Gandolfo, Giancarlo, 2012. "The Euro/Dollar exchange rate: Chaotic or non-chaotic? A continuous time model with heterogeneous beliefs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 670-681.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Book Marketing).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.