Public Management Reform: A Comparative Analysis
AbstractSince its publication in 2000, Public Management Reform has established itself as the standard text in the field, presenting a comparative analysis of recent changes in Public Management and Public Administration in a range of countries in Europe, North America, and Australasia. This completely rewritten second edition radically expands, develops, and updates the original. Two countries have been added to the comparison (making twelve countries in all) and a much fuller treatment has been provided of the European Commission (including a commentary on the recent reforms led by Vice-President Kinnock). Empirical data has been brought up to date, so as to cover many key developments of the last few years. The theoretical framework of the book has been further developed, including a challenging new interpretation of the trends in continental Europe, which are seen here as markedly different from the Anglo-American style 'New Public Management'. This second edition provides an unparalleled synthesis of developments in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, the UK, the USA, and the European Commission. It is organized in an integrated format, within an overall theoretical framework that identifies the main pressures for, and trajectories of, change. It includes a multi-dimensional analysis of the results of reform, and a chapter reflecting on the dynamic relationship between management reform and politics. Extensive appendices provide an invaluable information resource for students.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Oxford University Press in its series OUP Catalogue with number 9780199268498 and published in 2004.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.oup.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enrico Bracci & Laura Maran, 2011. "Performance measurement in the public sector: some theoretical and practical reflections," Working Papers 201121, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Anne Junor & John O'Brien & Michael O'Donnell, 2009. "Welfare wars: public service frontline absenteeism as collective resistance," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(1/2), pages 26-40, April.
- Nizar Al-Sharif & Nazha Bourquia, 2011. "Les systèmes de mesure de performance en collectivités territoriales : un éclairage à la lecture du processus d'institutionnalisation," Post-Print hal-00645365, HAL.
- Frans Van Nispen & Johan Posseth, 2009. "Performance Informed Budgeting in Europe: The Ends Justify the Means, Don't They?," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 39, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- van Loon, Jos H.M. & Bonham, Gordon S. & Peterson, Dale D. & Schalock, Robert L. & Claes, Claudia & Decramer, Adelien E.M., 2013. "The use of evidence-based outcomes in systems and organizations providing services and supports to persons with intellectual disability," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 80-87.
- Independent Evaluation Group, 2008. "Public Sector Reform: What Works and Why? An IEG evaluation of World Bank Support," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6484, March.
- Marta Kahancová & Imre Gergely Szabó, 2012. "Acting on the Edge of Public Sector: Hospital Corporatization and Collective Bargaining in Hungary and Slovakia," Discussion Papers 1, Central European Labour Studies Institute (CELSI).
- Charron, Nicholas & Dahlström, Carl & Lapuente, Victor, 2012. "No law without a state," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 176-193.
- J. Christiaens & C. Vanhee & F. Manes-Rossi & N. Aversano, 2013. "The Effect of IPSAS on Reforming Governmental Financial Reporting: an International Comparison," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 13/845, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Danielle Morin, 2011. "Serving as magistrate at the French Cour des comptes: Navigating between tradition and modernity," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(6), pages 718-750, August.
- Matei, Ani & Matei, Lucica, 2009.
"Compatibility of the content of Bachelor programs in public administration with the needs of good governance. A comparison: EU-US,"
17, Academic Public Administration Studies Archive - APAS.
- Matei, Lucica & Matei, Ani, 2009. "Compatibility of the Content of Bachelor Programs in Public Administration with the Needs of Good Governance - A Comparison: EU-US," MPRA Paper 18626, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bach, Tobias & Döhler, Marian, 2012. "Mandated science and the problem of neutral expertise: The case of governmental research agencies," Discussion Papers, Research Group Science Policy Studies SP III 2012-602, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Teresa Curristine & Zsuzsanna Lonti & Isabelle Joumard, 2007. "Improving Public Sector Efficiency: Challenges and Opportunities," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 7(1), pages 1-41.
- Kárpáti, József, 2012. "Government performance indicators in a strategic approach," MPRA Paper 40351, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- György JENEI, 2012. "Challenges For Governance And Shortcomings At The Answers In Central Europe," Curentul Juridic, The Juridical Current, Le Courant Juridique, Petru Maior University, Faculty of Economics Law and Administrative Sciences and Pro Iure Foundation, vol. 48, pages 13-20, March.
- Tepe, Markus, 2010. "The effect of reciprocal motives, personality traits and wage differnences on public employee's job satisfaction," TranState Working Papers 131, University of Bremen, Collaborative Research Center 597: Transformations of the State.
- Sotiris Theodoropoulos, 2012. "Seeking a sustainable size and structure for the Greek public sector’s activities according to the fiscal pact for Euro," SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, University of Piraeus, vol. 62(3-4), pages 75-92, July - De.
- James Wallace & Nelarine Cornelius, 2010. "Community Development and Social Regeneration: How the Third Sector Addresses the Needs of BME Communities in Post-Industrial Cities," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 97(1), pages 43-54, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Book Marketing).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.