India's Employment Challenge: Creating Jobs, Helping Workers
AbstractLabour is the principal asset for a large number of Indians, especially the poor and marginalized. India faces a key challenge in the coming decade - increasing the earnings of the poor; and providing productive jobs to a large segment of population that will enter the labour market over the next ten years. Though labour market outcomes have been improving since the 1990s and job growth has been on the rise since 2000, unemployment and underemployment continue to cause concern. The recent global economic downturn too has brought these issues and concerns into sharp focus. Addressing the lack of growth of good jobs is thus key for India. Prepared by a team of Indian economists and World Bank staff, this report assesses developments in Indian labour markets and identifies key employment challenges in the future. It also provides prescriptive suggestions for improving labour market outcomes. Specifically, it analyses the main developments in the labour market in India; the volume and quality of the jobs being created. Moreover, it addresses the growth in both the formal and informal sectors, and income gaps therein. It further attempts to understand how and why labour market outcomes differ between regions, and the implications of such difference. It also examines existing policies, their effectiveness, and the need for further reform.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Oxford University Press in its series OUP Catalogue with number 9780198063513 and published in 2010.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.oup.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jacoby, Hanan G., 2013. "Food prices, wages, and welfare in rural India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6412, The World Bank.
- Morgan, Horatio M., 2013. "Foreign banks and the export performance of emerging market firms: Evidence from India," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 52-60.
- Padmini Desikachar & Brinda Viswanathan, 2012. "Patterns of Labour Market Insecurity in Rural India: A Multidimensional and Multivariate Analysis," Working Papers id:4901, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Book Marketing).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.